Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitney285 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
    How do you punish a cat for duing something wrong?
    CATS CATS CATS!! How How How?:confused?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 13, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Doing, something wrong? Spray water on it. Like from a water gun.
    whitney285 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Well it kind of depends on what you believe in people say when your trying to train a cat they learn better if you get a news papper,roll it up,show them what they did wrong then yell at them saying no no while hitting them with the news papper this ill no hert the animal it will just scare them!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Cats respond poorly to negative enforcement. Much better is to try redirecting their behavior, and let the environment do some of it for you. If you do not want your cat lying on the shelf with all your knick-knacks, for example, you arrange the furniture in such a way that it is hard for him to get up there, and put something uncomfortable on the shelf so that they won't stay there if they do get up. But, at the same time, you have to also provide them with an alternative spot that meets the same needs that the shelf did for them. This could be a different shelf, or a cat tree, etc. In other words, teach the cat that sleeping Here is bad, sleeping There is good.

Also, based only on your posting style, I would say that you are going to have a hard time proving to your parents that you are responsible enough for a cat. How you present yourself does matter.
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

May 13, 2007, 09:40 PM
    We used to have a cat when I was younger and for some reason the cat wouldn't stay off the dinner table. We got a spray bottle and filled it with water, every time she jumped on the table we swirted her a little and she would jump down and run off. It didn't take long and when we'd bring the spray bottle out she'd run and we never had to squirt her... after a little more time she just learned that it wasn't allowed. Cats are very smart animals.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
    I like the good, old spray water bottle approach for training not to do things such as: doing "their thing" anywhere in our home other than in the litter box, clawing on furniture, getting on a table, trying to eat something they shouldn't, etc.

Other than that, if you show love and treat your cat kindly on an ongoing basis, then you should be rewarded by having a very loving and affectionate pet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is lethargic, what could be wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed over the last couple of days that my 12 year old cat is acting very lethargic, he is normally very active. I have also noticed that he only seems to be eating a very small amount of food & does not appear to be going to the toilet at all. Has anyone got any idea as to what may be...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

F1 (OPT) to H1B and married duing 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came from India to US in 2003 on F1 student visa. I completed my studies in 2005 and started OPT in Oct 2005. I worked in California on F1 (OPT) from Oct 2005 till Sept 2006. From Oct 1st 2006 I started my H1B with same employer. I do not meet the substantial presence test for year 2006 as...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

What's wrong with my cat [ 1 Answers ]

My two year old cat came home one day and did nothing but sleep... for about a week. Didn't eat or drink anything for about five days. Had a little water on the fifth day.Didn't move. Didn't meow or respond at all. On the seventh day he got up and had some tuna and was fine for about twenty four...

View more questions Search