Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjulian1125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Water leaking from tub spout
    Please help. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I went through three tub spouts trying to solve the problem I am having. When I install the spout, everything is fine when you turn the water on. When you pull up the diverter for the shower, water leaks out of the hole in the bottom of the spout. The spout is a universal spout that is connected onto a copper tube. It is held on by an O ring with a screw that screws down to the copper pipe.

Jayson
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2007, 06:09 AM
    What's happened here is the "O" ring in the tub spout has rolled out of position and the water's leaking past it. This is usually caused by a burr on the end of the 1/2" copper pipe catching the " copper pipe catching the " ring and forcing it out of position. Pull the spout back out and put the " ring and forcing it out of position. Pull the spout back out and put the " ring back where it belongs. Now take and sand and bevel off the burr on the pipe. Moisten the copper pipe so the " ring back where it belongs. Now take and sand and bevel off the burr on the pipe. Moisten the copper pipe so the " ring slides on down the pipe and tighten the spout down. Better now? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming out of spout in tub after diverted to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am sorry if this question has been asked. I am having problems with my tub/shower. I am not sure the brand on my bathtub faucet but it has one knob that controls hot and cold, on/off. The spout has a ring that you pull down on to divert the water to the shower head. If the water is on cold,...

Tub Spout Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

I am having the same issue as someone else on the fourm from a few months back (see link below). I replaced a tub spout with a universal type and it leaks out the back ONLY when the diverter is up. This is fustrating as I have tried lots of teflon tape and all the other suggestions that were...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Water leaking from spout when diverter pulled [ 3 Answers ]

In the tub, when the shower diverter is pulled, a large amount of water is running out of the tub spout, lowering the water pressure in the shower head. In the past, the "normal" or expected amount of water came out of the spout, but this amount is much larger. Is there a way to replace the...

Older Kohler leaking at base of Kitchen Spout. Got off but can't get apart [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a 15 year old Kohler 2 handle kitchen sink that's leaking around spout base. I took the spout off and there's a valve looking thing loose up in the handle. It appears that it once screwed into the base of the faucet assy (the water pressure has always been bad at this sink). It looks...

View more questions Search