Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murley Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2005, 07:41 AM
    Trying to share an Int conn with two units...
    Hello. I have DSL. Running it into an ethernet card obviously. Have a second ethernet card installed and running my XBox into that with a crossover cable. Trying to get XP to act as a router to set up a secondary DNS for the XBox so that they can share the IC. What should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Get a broadband router. Its not a secondary DNS you need but you need to assign an IP both devices. While you may be able to do this with ICS (a Windows utility), you are much better off with a router. For gaming you want a stable and fast connection. ICS is kind of flaky.

Broadband routers are cheap these days.
    murley Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
    So you don't think that the ICS from XP is worth using? I'm not going to add anything other that my xbox so I don't need multiple ports.

Apr 23, 2005, 04:55 AM
    No I don't think ICS or any software proxy server is worth using. Not with routers as inexpensive as they are. You can probably find a wired router for under $30.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Apr 23, 2005, 04:59 AM
    Well, if this means anything to you, I'll explain the way I have it set up at home.

I have 3 computers running XP in my house, and my friend has 2 at his house. We are connected in a LAN, through one 8 port 10/100mbps switch. Each computer has an ethernet card. One of my computers has Internet Connection Sharing option turned on on a connection that uses ISDN to connect to Internet, and has an IP (in LAN) set to 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. All other computers have that computer set as a "Preffered DNS Server" and they use IPs of type 192.168.0.x where x is 2, 3, 4, 5.

And it's working great, but gets DAMN slow when everyone uses the connection :)

Apr 23, 2005, 05:10 AM
    When I first setup my LAN after getting a Cable broadband connection, I used WinGate proxy server to share the connection. While it worked fine, there were some stability and speed issues. When routers started dropping in price I replaced that setup with a router. The difference was obvious. The connection became more stable, clearly faster and was more secure. Since that time I have not recommended using ICS or any software solution. Router prices have come down even more so it just makes no sense to go with a software solution.

To CroCivic.
    Why are you still using an ISDN line? DSL or cable is probably more cost effective and speedier. Then you could go with a router.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Apr 23, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    To CroCivic.
    Why are you still using an ISDN line? DSL or cable is probably more cost effective and speedier. Then you could go with a router.
    Because I'm from Croatia, and we just got ADSL here, and it's still costs more then ISDN. We also got a cable option a few months back, and I'm considering it, but for now - ISDN is the least expensive.

Apr 23, 2005, 08:28 PM
    Ahh that makes sense

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

Split units and how they work? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone breakdown how a split unit A/C & Heat system works? What takes place when you turn down the thermostat to make the A/C come on? And the same Q for the heat?

Control 2 AC units with 1 panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new 2 story home with 2 AC units. One upstairs and one down. How can I control the upstairs thermostat from downstairs? Ok, I'm lazy!

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

View more questions Search