Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring
    :( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa.
    All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green jack connections. No dal tone. Then switched with orange/white and so on. I am unable to find a dial tone and the phone company states line is good outside. The line is a single and I know the previous tenants had a phone/landline. I am also using single line phone cord. I have tested with several different jacks and phones (equip. good). What am I doing wrong?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
    White/blue to green, and blue white to red, is usually first pair, Electricians who don't know the color code some times do this: They connect Orange/white to the red,cause it is closest color match, and they connect Blue/white to green because it is closest match.
    Go out side and se what colors connected.
    Verify -48 volts outside, then look for 48 volts inside. Red is negative with respect to green.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2007, 08:09 AM
    If what Stratmando suggested doesn't work, then go back to the Telco. They should be able to tell you how to wire the junction box into your system. Most Telcos actually have to do this for you. Instead of leaving a bare wires they should be providing a terminal block with an Rj11 connector. You can then plug in a bridge to that jack and connect the bridge to the wall jacks through the house.
    tmoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 09:10 AM
    The only box I could find was down the row of townhomes. It had three mounted slides with a mess of wires. I couldn't find what looked to be a junction box with any jacks on the outside. AT&T won't give me any information with out coming out and charging $110 per hour.
    Thanks
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
    You can go on Ebay, Look for Tone Generator and inductive Amp. I have gotten a good pair made by Progressive Electronics.
    You plug in or connect to phone wire, turn on tone.
    Go to where all the wires are. Run Inductive Amp,with button pushed down and listen for tone. Don't need to Physically touch the copper.
    Verify Line cord and phone at known good phone Jack(neighbors house)
    Also, call your house, and if it rings busy, Line likely shorted.
    If it rings and rings Likely open.
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    It sounds like you've found the 'punch block' terminal which is the master connection for your entire building. Somewhere between this terminal and your condo should be a box that as Scott says is the 'bridge'. There should be someone, perhaps even the phone company, who can tell you where the NIC (or similar name) box is located. This is the point where your problem usually is.
    You could always go to radio shack and buy an inexpensive "phone line tester" which lights up when you've got a good (or even out-of-phase connection). Try connecting one wire to a wall jack and then, with the tester plugged in, touch one wire at a time to the other connection point on the back of the jack until you've got a light coming on.
    Best of luck
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Showing that a line is good, not a bad thing. If you take a telephone to potential pair
    You would need to connect test set or telephone plugged in to jack, and use wire behind
    Jack and dial the ANI ( Automated Number Identification) It will tell you the number
    You are on. Or with meter at "66 Blocks" and measure -48 volts, that is a good line "On Hook"
    Ringing will produce about 90 volts AC. (Look for pulsing)
    What tools do you have to work with.
    I would stop a alarm or phone guy in the area. It is 5 Minute Job with right tools.
    $20.00 not a bad price?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

No dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!

Computer connection via phone line with dial-up host [ 2 Answers ]

I need to connect to a computer in a rural area where there is no high speed internet - just phone connections. Purpose is to monitor one or more cameras on the property. Need to set up a computer to computer connection that's initiated when I dial rural computer and have it set up to answer...

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search