Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritac Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Spiritual gift of discernment
    My pastor told me I may have the spirit of discernment.Because I can say something and it happens. I can have a dream and it happens. I may have a feeling about someone and it turns out to be real. Can anyone tell me if they have it and what they feel or how they feel. I'm so confused because sometimes I do not want to tell anyone about my dreams for fear of losing frindships or accuintances because they may think I'm just being nosy which I am not it's just that I see and feel what I see and feel.They tell me I'm crazy. Some people say I have "Goat Mouth" I guess this is island talk but I'm not sure what it means.
    susiemarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ritac
    My pastor told me I may have the spirit of discernment.Because I can say something and it happens. I can have a dream and it happens. I may have a feeling about someone and it turns out to be real. Can anyone tell me if they have it and what they feel or how they feel. I'm so confused because sometimes I do not want to tell anyone about my dreams for fear of losing frindships or accuintances because they may think I'm just being nosy which I am not it's just that I see and feel what I see and feel.They tell me I'm crazy. Some people say I have "Goat Mouth" I guess this is island talk but I'm not sure what it means.
    It is a gift, like insight. Be grateful and use it to help others, never to boast, harm or frighten. You will find ways to use it with humility, respect and love. Do not be afraid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
    First I may disagree with it being the spirit of discernment, but maybe the gift of dreams or prophecy. Discernment is the ability to tell things about people, knowing if someone is lying, feeling the evil inside of them.
    Driving though a area and knowing there is evil right there. If someone speaks in tounges you know if it is of God or not and if the person who interperts it, does it correctly or not. You may know what it actually said, but you can tell if they are right in what they say. If someone says they are of God, you will know it, if there is a "spirit" working, you can tell if it is of God or not, and if you believe in possession, you will know if someone is or not.

Having dreams can be part of it, but only if it tells you that someone is telling ( and normally not telling the truth about something)
    While different fellings happen with different people, the whay it works in one person, is not always the same in another, but it is common that if you are too near real evil, you will get physcially sick, not able to stand to be around it. And of course there is a right time and place to use the info you get on others, not to directly just accuse them, but you find a way to help them use it, or/and always in private and with love.

But yes many will think you are crazy, and if some of this discernment latter is about someone important in the church don't always expect the church to stand with you either.

The main thing is to pray for God to guide you in the gifts he has given you, and to let you understand the gift, Also remember normally if you are in doubt, God will confirm this not only from your pastor but normally from someone you don't really know if you ask him to confirm it for you.
    ritac Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 03:40 AM
    I also get those feelings from people. Sometimes I just have to go away from them because I get 'bad' deep heavy feelings in my gut from them and sometimes at church I do get those feelings from people as well. One night there was a visitor at my church and I looked at him and asked my husband" I wonder what he's doing here? my husband told me not to be judgemental so I let it go. WHen the ppastor did the alter call the same man went up to the front and said something about having seizures as a little boy and how he prayed and was cured instantly. To make a long story short after church. My co-worker who never stays after service came to look for me.As we were walking out we ran into our "visitor". My friend looked at him and said Freddie is that you? He was shocked to see her. Apparently they lived on the same island in the Caribbean and he was a con man. As long as he had 20 or 30 dollars he in his pocket he was happy. He never worked he always begged for money. To think how small this world actually is. Orlando has hundreds of churches and for this guy to land in our church was just incredible. My husband later told me he should have known that when I said it it must have been for a reason. I pray and ask God to guide me and use me to his will and I know he is prepring me for that. I just hope I do not let him down.
    Burn4God Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Yes this is correct... Gift of discernment is being able to see good from evil. People that are from God or people that are not! People who have this gift are favored by God. All I can suggest is that you pray for understanding...
    fully_alive Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 08:31 AM
    hi, there!
    this seems to me either it is that you may have the gift of the word of knowlodge or word of wisdom. you can look them up and see. but i'm pretty sure either one of these. :D
    i too have dreams from the Lord. and yes, poeple will most likely think yur crazy. but don't
    get too carry away, like w/ telling people all the time~ some aren't that understanding as others can be and they can end up bringin you down. i say most importantly pray, pray..... about it, and wait for an answer from God. Sometimes he will show you the answer thru a dream, a vision or by the holy spirit speaking to you. many blessings!!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 05:38 PM

It does sound like you have discernment and along with those it is good to have the word of knowledge, wisdom so that you can properly understand and balance and use your discernment which it seems like you do. As the others said go with your first gut instinct.
    I have noticed that sometimes what I do is have an impression or instinct or whatever and other times I get 'mixed' messages.
    I have come to realize that one is my spirit showing me and the other is more probabilities that something could be this way or that way or whatever. To help me better distinguish what is discernment from my own thinking I 'put' the instinct' that I can't shake into what I call my "I know that I know'' file and see what happens. What was first impression, gut feeling, instinct, discernment always ends up happening just as I knew that I knew.
    bigmichele Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 04:07 AM
    I have the same gift. At times it can be scary, but I just pray, pray pray, praise praise, prasie my way out of it. Sometimes I go to place so bad my hair stands up my back and neck feel weird and I may even throw up. Other times it is not as clear. It is hard because I feel evil spirits, but when I lokk at a person even if I just know they did bad, still see a good heart under it all. That is why I have such a heart for hurt people. I very rarely find a bad person, but I do find bad spirits. They sure are different. I am now committing to God to help me use my gift. They say becareful for what you ask for, so I am also try to study the word every day. Especially in reference to the armor of God and the Holy Spirit. I also pray much more then I use too. I hope some day to complete a vision I had once at a Bible study for a place called God's Green Acres. Many pastors in different cities pray for it. One told me it is not just a vision, but something I should dcompletet before I take my last breathe. With God, anything is possible. I am praying now for confidence. I have always suffered a self esteem issue. God can use all things for good and I know it is through him that my confidence will come. I may not be good enough, but I believe whole heartedly that he is!! God bless all of you! I keep Christans in my prayers.
    Jfreak1314 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Don't worry, I have the same spiritual gift in dreaming too. You see God sends messages to me in my dream, telling me a verse or something else. I once saw God on his throne encrusted with jewels and he spoke to me. Trust me I was confused too, but when a pastor told me about dreaming of God having to be a spiritual gift then I kind went WHOO! But, I read a verse saying everyone has a spiritual gift, different, but all with the same spirit. Some have supernatural abilities, and some can speak languages not even heard of before. If look in the Bible, go to 1 Corinthians 12, and 14. Look, they talk about spiritual gifts, its not bad having a spiritual gift. Its actually kind of awesome. You see when Joseph had dreams about God, and then his brothers sold him to Egypt... he was used by God, like, that was supposed to happen. God used him to save the people from dying from a horrible famine. So don't hate your gift or use it for your good of bad. Cause, in the Bible it says, "A spiritual gift of dreams doesnt come to you obvious, you have to figure out what your dream meant or what it means to figure out what God was telling you." Well all I can say now. HOPE THIS HELPED YOU!:)
    quietwaters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I recently prayed for the Lord to show me what I'm up against at work because I have been treated bad there, others too, erratic rude, ill-natured behaviors etc. BUT everyone generically says "OH BUT IT'S EVERYWHERE YOU HAVE YOUR GOOD APPLES & BAD APPLES".

Well that night when I prayed, I drempt of a bunch of christians... one was show to me as not being a truly godly person. When I woke up, I was kind of in shock because that person is a christian singer today & well known. Maybe it was a generic symbolic dream... I don't know.

5 yrs ago, I worked in a clerical position at a faith based hospital.. oen for the questions we had to ask was "what is your religious preference?" For some reason I think it was about 7 patients in a row where when I looked at them & asked.. I already knew what the answer was. It ranged everything from christianity to pagan.

Anyhow, this recent work situation I'm in has affected me in so many ways... just last week I was talking to a senior employee who has all these other employees as followers & they all gossip, hate etc but do it in a very settle behind the scenes way. When I was talking to her, her EYES SPOKE "I AM A DEMONIC SPIRIT". I froze inside when that instantly happened.

I know I'm not crazy although I feel crazy in my head a lot of the times. I always feel like I'm the odd one fighting against this evilness and all the arrows point at me. I've been getting chronically sick these past 5 months.

I've never prayed for the gift of discernement in my life but after observing recently my experiences, I'm wondering if this is where he has me. I am just praying about it.
    If this is what he wills then I need more feedback from you Lord LOL
    I need him to reveal more to me because I'm feeling insane I can't explain it...
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 02:00 PM

The gift of discernment, is having the ability to sense evil or good in a person or a situation, or being able to discern if a spirit is divine, human, or evil. Spiritual discernment is not having dreams and premonitions. I know several people (including me) who have had dreams that come true, it happens to a lot of people. But it is not a spiritual gift.
    Rkanovac77 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 03:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ritac View Post
    I can have a dream and it happens.
    What kind of dreams? About future events, or about the events that already happened? Can you tell us an example?
    Rkanovac77 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaime90 View Post
    I know several people (including me) who have had dreams that come true,...
    What was that dream about? Was it about the past event, or something that happened in the future?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 10:44 AM

I know when I will be late for work, because I dream it the night before. I know several people who dream about their friends, and the events end up coming true. I'm not sure if I believe it is premonition or just coincidence. It is interesting though.
    cathiejeanm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 12:28 AM

I was given a blessing when I was much younger, and given the gift of discernment in it. Many times, like tonight, I have hated it.
    See, I (and my 2 kids) live with my mom, stepdad and younger sister while I go to school full time. My stepdad is generally a very kindhearted person and is doing me a HUGE favor even taking me and the kids under his wings. He even gave me his car to use to get to school. However, he is a dishonest person. I am not able to fully trust him. He gets on a stubborn streak about liking or not liking a certain thing and thinks everyone else should follow suit. If it's a book he doesn't like, he'll hide it and play stupid. Once we had family night and talked about fire safety and installed an alarm and did drills. I found out later he hated the sound of the alarm. Whenever anyone asked what happened to the new alarm we installed, he played stupid. Somehow, I knew he knew where it was. I was right. I found it hidden behind some files in a drawer he generally is the sole user of. Tonight, I found a remote control there. He hates that I have to put captions on the TV set. Instead of nicely reminding me to remove the captions (yes, many times I've shown him how to do it himself with the pressing of just one button), he hid it from me and watched me tear the house apart for days looking for it. I prayed I'd find it so I could again enjoy shows and that my kids wouldn't have to hide in my room to watch their movies. Well, I'm kind of sorry I know where it is. I want to be able to trust my stepdad. I know that if I confront him and let him know that I know he has been deceitful, he'll just find another place to hide stuff. Now I'm actually wondering if my gut is telling me the truth about having been burnt by a bar-b-que that he's adamant he hates. How do I know he didn't rig it?
    kmb1160 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaime90 View Post
    The gift of discernment, is having the ability to sense evil or good in a person or a situation, or being able to discern if a spirit is divine, human, or evil. Spiritual discernment is not having dreams and premonitions. I know several people (including me) who have had dreams that come true, it happens to a lot of people. But it is not a spiritual gift.
    Hey Jaime ! I just read your anser , and thought I would respond ! I have been TOLD that I have the GIFT of DISCERNMENT , and I guess that may be True ! I can look at a person , or just look in their eyes , { with out them having to say a thing } and I can FEEL or KNOW , how they are Feeling , or what's going on with them ! It's kind of neat to have that ABILITY ! I guess I've always KNOWN that I have the ability , but did'nt Really " REALIZE " that it was something Special , until some mentioned it to me one time ! Just wanted to share that with someone ! If you would ever like to respond back to me , you can send me an e-mail at [email protected] Thanks !
    xlief Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 09:20 AM
    The Apostle Paul, wrote to the Corinthians, in his "love" letter, (I Corinthians 13:2) - "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

Paul ends that letter, with saying - "but the GREATEST" of these, is love! It is my belief, that we get too focused on "spiritual gifts", as it were, and not pay much, MUCH more attention to loving one another. May our prayer be, Father, help us to "consistently" exercise - love! For Love - is the more excellent way.
    mattw1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
    The gift of discernment can be scary when I found out I had it, my room mates had prayed over the house a week before, without me. That night they wanted to go out and I told them something did feel right about the night, they accused me of being a party pooper so I left the room and stepped outside for some fresh air the moment I stepped off the porch steps I could not breath as if my air way had been blocked somehow, so I decided to go back in and one of the room mates walked in from the other room and saw me, he said I had gone pail, and my eyes were dailated like I had been scared scenseless. That's when the other room mates told me they prayed over the house, one was a con artist that was conning us at the time, I had never really trusted him, he was always point out other peoples fault I ended up rebuking him and he left a few days later without any word. So yes the gift of discernment is an amazing yet frightening gift. It sounds like you have two gift going on though, 1) the gift of dreams, like joseph had and 2) the discernment of spirits
    tmendez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 10:51 AM
    I believe that I am blessed with the gift of discernment and only today after reading all of these comments did I learn that it is in fact a gift and not everyone is blessed with it. I feel very special, so much so, that I would never misuse it or abuse it. If you are blessed with it, God has blessed you in an amazing way. God bless you.
    chi23sweet89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Yes I am the same its best to say nothing and watch and get to know them time and place for everything don't take our gift and talk to talk its best to help from the shadows... but you should know that already or had the feeling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding gift [ 2 Answers ]

If you do not attend the wedding is it okay to spend less money on a gift than if you were to attend the reception? If so, what percentage less would be acceptable?

Inquiry about an old spiritual song [ 6 Answers ]

There was a song that my mother used to love - it was a record actually. All I can now remember is one verse, it says "when you hear my home going don't you worry about me. I think the name of this song is "Home Going". Has anyone heard of this song, does anyone know where I may be able to get it...

Spiritual Help Needed [ 3 Answers ]

I am seriously considering to start going and possibly joining a catholic church. I have many reasons for tis but do not want to go into them as of yet. Does anyone know if there is a FREE online study coures for beginning want to be catholics?

Spiritual inmaturity [ 2 Answers ]

Forget Scientology, how about Opus Dei 'Da Vinci Code' group is perfect fit for celebrity religious tastes Forget Scientology, how about Opus Dei - Da Vinci Code - MSNBC.com Scientology, this that and the other religon. Why do these Hollywood types always seem to be on the fringe of...

Geopathic Stress V Spiritual Growth [ 5 Answers ]

In Neolithic times our ancestors used good and bad aspects of the planet to Change the balance of their bodies. In order for us to be human and work in balance with the universe we need to use both physical as well as spiritual energy, or our electrical being. I have found that a long time ago...

View more questions Search