Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2005, 08:22 PM
    Creating a weatherproof windowsill
    I am about to re-frame an exterior bathroom wall which will involve removing an old window and framing in a new 16"h x 4'w glass block window. What I need to know prior to finalizing the rough-in dimensions is what are my modern options for creating a weatherproof wndowsill for this new window. The glass block is a non-mortar construction and the bottom will sit in a PVC track. The other old sills have been covered in aluminum flashing but I don't know if I should do this here (or how to do this).

I would love to use a Plastic, PVC or composite material if available. I need it to be small (3/4" to 1" thick), just enough to run any water away from the window without looking disproportionate to the window size. It will be finished exteriorly with vinyl siding.

1) What is available for non-wood sill options?

2) If nothing, what would you recommend for creating a weatherproof sill for this application?

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2005, 08:40 PM
    I would go with the aluminum clad wood. Make a wooden window sill. The usual procedure for covering them is to buy a coil of metal and rent a break. That is how I did it 20 years ago when I covered all my trim. Maybe for just one, go to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and buy 1 piece of fascia cover. You should be able to adapt it covering a window sill, at least the top.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating xp disc [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later. Thanks

Creating new math [ 3 Answers ]

My question to you all is how can I have the new math I create checked without worry of someone stealing the ideas or finishing ones that aren't finished?

Help creating a web site [ 6 Answers ]

My parents want to set up some web sites: one for my mothers artwork and another for my fathers archery but they want to do it for free. I am unsure of how to go about settting up one at all and they have put me in chargte of it! Please help, blusia:eek:

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

Creating a forum [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I'de like to create a forum for my new site. But but I don't know anything about it. Can someone hepl me? I only know the interface part. Thanks

View more questions Search