Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firsttimer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Furring strips vs walls
    I am remodeling my basement and have cement block walls. The walls are in OK shape, the floor is uneven in places. The room is about 10 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the rest of the house.

I am trying to decide if I should use furring strips to attach my drywall to or build 2x4 walls. Does anyone have an opinion either way on which way will work best?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2005, 04:45 PM
    I see no reason to go to the expense and work to build 2 X 4 walls. I would put my time and money into meticulously caulking all gaps between the block, plate, band joist, and floor above. Caulk any cracks in the block too. Then use Ti-Cons to fasten 1 x 2 furring strips on. Put 3/4'' foam between them, and then the drywall.
    alnishtra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

How many inches apart do I place the strips apart. And what type nails would I use to anchore the drywall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

Video Walls [ 8 Answers ]

I've been tasked with a project. Basically I need to arrange 4 19" TFT to make one large display and have a smaller display to work off. I can get my head around the large display but can't work out how to have a separate smaller display that shows what is displayed on the large one. Any...

Furring walls with epoxy [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several times that fastening furring strips (treated 2x4s) to concrete foundation walls with tapcons or shot driven nails may result in cracks and later leaks. Does anyone have a tried and true method of attaching furring to the foundation wall with some sort of epoxy instead?

UL certification advice regarding power strips [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently in the process of developing a product that incorporates a power strip. The power strip is housed (encased) but physically not altered. If the power strip is UL certified, would my new product need to be recertified anyway or would the UL approval transfer to my product. What are the...

Shear walls [ 1 Answers ]

my engineer wants me to nail my shear at 2" oc. Doesn't that tear up the 2x4 and plywood??

View more questions Search