Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LIVI94 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Garnishment of bank account
    I just found out that my bank accounts in New York have been garnished due to a judgment from Va dating from 1997. I contacted the lawyer representing the apt. complex where I resided in 1994. (the bank gave me the information) he forwarded a copy of a summons that was served in 1997 to an old virginia address. I moved from va. In 1996 to New York, therefore I never received the summons, so naturally I never appeared in court and the judgment was ruled in their favor. I was not aware that I owed money to the apt. complex. I moved out and gave ample notice and I even gave them my forwarding address at the time. The apt complex says that they never received the non renewal notice and thus renewed my lease. My child support payment from my ex was in one of those accounts. I have checks bouncing all over the place. Is it legal to garnish an account that has child support payments in it? And can the lawyer garnish my daughter's custodian account? He tells me that there is nothing I can do, other than to pay the debt. I, naturally don't believe him. How can I fight this from ny? Please advise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Of course "thier" attorney is going to tell you there is nothing they can do. But of course, they could give you the money back if they wanted to, it is totally their choice. They took the money

Next they don't know what the money is for, once money is in a bank account it is just your money if you are the owner of the account.

You can file to have the judgment thrown out for improper service, or you file for the money in the one account to be exempt, by proving to the court it should be. ** not sure it is in your state, but if it is that is what you have to do. But I am not sure that I have ever seen child support expempt once it is deposited, but against I won't say it is not.
    You need to check with an attorney and file motons to get the money released if there was a anything done wrong with the original filing
    LIVI94 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Thanks. Would it be wise to close all bank accounts, or will it make me look guilty? I have already had direct deposit of my paychecks stopped. I can't afford to have any more money taken.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Well once they are froze I doubt you can close them, and with checks out in them you will end up with over draft charges on the accounts also.
    But if you have any accounts that have not forze yet, close them ASAP
    And of course you have already stopped your direct deposit.
    rugbug1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVI94
    I just found out that my bank accounts in new york have been garnished due to a judgment from Va dating from 1997. I contacted the lawyer representing the apt. complex where I resided in 1994. (the bank gave me the information) he forwarded a copy of a summons that was served in 1997 to an old virginia address. I moved from va. in 1996 to new york, therefore I never received the summons, so naturally I never appeared in court and the judgment was ruled in their favor. i was not aware that I owed money to the apt. complex. i moved out and gave ample notice and I even gave them my forwarding address at the time. the apt complex says that they never received the non renewal notice and thus renewed my lease. my child support payment from my ex was in one of those accounts. I have checks bouncing all over the place. Is it legal to garnish an account that has child support payments in it? and can the lawyer garnish my daughter's custodian account? He tells me that there is nothing I can do, other than to pay the debt. I, naturally don't believe him. How can I fight this from ny? please advise.
    If you were not served with a summons or notice, anything that happens is illegal. I would go to the sheriff
    To see if you were served

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

A creditor has garnished my bank account several months ago. How long does that garnishment last? Do they have the right to take any money in that account from now on?

Bank Account Garnishment [ 13 Answers ]

I was notified that a garnishment on my bank account was put in place due to a judgement against me. Will the bank continue to freeze money direct deposited into the account if the deposit is more than the total amount of the garnishment, or does the bank only freeze up to the amount of the...

Garnishment on our bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Two days ago I found out that a collection agency has gotten a court order fro a judgment against our checking account. Apparently this was for a debt my husband had. We are both on the checking account. My Apparently never received a letter, notice or anything else to notify us that there was a...

Garnishment of Bank Account [ 13 Answers ]

Can a collection agency in New York State garnish or place a hold/freeze on a Limited Liability Corporation account if the name of the person they are after appears on the account as well? In other words, if 'John Doe' has defaulted on a huge loan and 'John Doe' owns 'Doogy Shampoo LLC', can...

View more questions Search