Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcowdrey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2003, 03:25 PM
    Floppy disk drive inoperative
    Have a Dell XPS T600r computer. Floppy disk drive was installed by Dell. Recently, The drive doesn't work. It is shown as Drive A in My Computer, but when I click on it, it says " Please insert disk into drived A....I do reclick drive A and the same message reappears. If I try to copy something to a disk inserted in Drive A, I get the same message, ie "Please insert a disk into drive A" . I thought that the drive might be faulty, so I replaced the floppy drive... Get same message with the new drive. Running Window XP pro OS
    Any suggestions as to the solution to my problem?
    Maury
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 10, 2003, 11:56 PM
    Floppy disk drive inoperative
    Does the light on your floppy drive come on while the computer is booting up?

Can you boot off the floppy?

If you don't have a bootable floppy, you can create one on a working system. Here's how to create a msdos startup disk on a windows computer with a working floppy drive:

Start-->Settings-->Control Panel
    Double-click "add/remove programs"
    Click the tab on the far right (I forget what it's called--startup disk or something), and then click Create disk.

Then take that disk, shove it into the problematic floppy drive, and reboot. If all goes well the system should boot off the floppy and dump you at an A:\> dos prompt. Once you get there, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot and remove the floppy. If it works, then you have a windows problem. :)

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy disk fail [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just putting a computer togather now when I turn on the computer after it's done all it's check it'tells me floppy disk fail how can I fix that?

Floppy drive does not see disk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sony VAio pcv-rs720g running windows XP home ed. When I put a disk in the floppy drive it tells me that there is no disk in the drive and to insert one. I've tried a dozen disks. Also I went to device manager and deleted the floppy controller and reinstalled it, no help. I reset the AMI...

O.S won't read new floppy disk drives. [ 3 Answers ]

xxxxxx OilMan6 :confused: 11 November 2005. 1733 Hrs. Central U.S. time. SUBJECT: Operating system won't read new floppy disk drives. Operating system being used: Windows XP Professional with SP#2. I bought two new Imation floppy disk drives.

Floppy disk permanently write protected [ 1 Answers ]

The computer always displays the Write Protect error message, even if the write protect tab is in the write position. Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Floppy disk repair software [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am having frequent problems with my floppy drive as it is not reading most of the floppies. It will read only very good floppies such as monitor installation disks or floppies from top brands only. What I need is , where can i download free software for...

View more questions Search