Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkeyboy23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Can I sue for this, and what would I sue for?
    Greetings,

I recently was dragged to court to defend myself against a sexual assault accusation. It was a he said/she said case, and I was actually arrested and charged without having talked to the accuser or the police. Anyway, long story short, I was acquitted (with flying colours - judge in "nice speak" called her an unreliable witness that was overdramatic, and pretty much called her a liar) of the charges. The accuser has sent my family many emails saying she never wanted it to go to court. She has many conflicting stories, and it has been ever changing. She posted her story on the internet, and even though she didn't mention my name, people from the site were able to deduce who she was talking about. She posted on a site that shows the country you are from. We live in Canada, and on this board my wife frequents, she posted that her sister was on this board, and that she wanted to protect her and her son. There are only 2 girls from Canada on this board, and the other girl has 3 boys, so it wasn't hard for people to figure it out.

Anyway, she has made comments to family and friends, saying I forced myself on her, which I have not done. She sent e-mail to my work email that was ultimately read by my boss - I was threatened with losing my job if I was convicted. I would like to know if I can go back after her for my legal expenses, as well as pain and suffering, or some form of libel or slander charge. She has authenticated the fact that she posted the stuff on the internet when she submitted it to the police. She has sent many conflicting emails about why she wanted to go to court (no one believed her - never mentioned justice), and also finally comes out saying she did this so that I would come out and tell the truth before it ever got to court.?

I live in Ontario, Canada. I realize the most I can sue for in SMC is $10000, but I really don't think she can afford much, and I'm not looking to make a buck from this. My legal defense cost me $4000, plus time off work, and the 1.5 years this dragged on for.

Any help is appreciated.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 13, 2007, 06:26 AM
    I think you need a lawyer. Most here in the US will work on a contingency. Don't worry about "how much she can afford." Think more in terms of sending her a message that will make her stop harassing you. Have you thought about a restraining order? In most cases, if a person violates that order, the state will step in on your behalf. I am no expert but lifes experiences can teach us a lot. At least consult with a legal representative. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue [ 9 Answers ]

My friend had his car in a parking lot they crashed it in the parking lot and offered him 4 free months instead of paying for the repairs they made a verbal agreement to let me park there since he sold his car now they crashed my car and are refusing to pay for damages and are trying to kick me out...

Can I sue? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Last Monday I was in a meeting with my co-worker and my supervisor in the supervisors office. While in this meeting, my supervisor called one of the partners and put her on speakerphone without letting her know. The partner also did not know we were in the office. During the phone...

Can I sue for slandering? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor who is constantly stateing false information about myself and my husband. She has gone as far as filing false accusations in court, my question is can I sue for slandering? Please help :o :confused:

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

View more questions Search