Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 05:01 PM
    tips for preventing future squeaks?
    I am about to install fresh 3/8" plywood over the original 3/4" tongue & groove planking to give me a smooth and solid surface for the final lauan and sheet flooring in my 5' x 9' bathroom.

Here's my question:

In order to avoid any possible squeaking in the future would it be advisable to place a thin sheet of some material like landscaper paper or the rolled foam stuff that gets used under laminate flooring between the original planking and the new 3/8" ply? Is there a better material? I would think it would deaden and insulate the floor a bit as well or am I thinking about all this too deeply?

Also, what is used to fill the seams of the 3/8" subfloor and lauan before final flooring (if anything)?

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
    I don't think a thin layer of anything is going to stop squeaks. I would rip the old plank stuff out. Add 2 x 4's to the joists if you need something to nail the plywood to. If you do leave the plank floor, dump talcum power in the cracks to take up the friction. Then solidly screw the plywood down using 2 1/2-3'' screws into the joists. Stager the joints in the luan and plywood. Screw or staple it down. Fit it tightly and I don't think you need to fill the joints.
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Squeaky follow up
    Thanks for the good advice. I have to leave the planks and they are in good shape. I did renail a lot of them down again today as the 80 YO nailings werer working loose. Right now the planks are quiet. My concern is not from them but the new potential for friction between them and the new plywood which is why I was thinking about a membrane between the two to avoid future friction in that plane.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hernia: preventing testicle pain while lifting! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am 17 years old. I lift weight a lot, well I used to . This whole summer I have laid around watching anime and losing muscle. Mainly because I had this lump on my right testicle and I was in a lot of amounts of pain, and my doctor could not really find any explenation for it at all what so...

Preventing wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't...

Preventing Wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer my entire family got stung by wasps. There was about 10 different nests under the railing of our large deck. The most problemsome was the nests near the gates that connected the deck to the pool area. We tried sprays of all kinds then just resorted to avoiding the main gate, but this...

Preventing walking pests from climbing legged furnatures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I preventing walking pests (e.g. ants) from climbing legged furnatures (table)? Would rubbing some petroleum jelly on the lower portion of the table prevent the ants from climbing?

Advice for preventing clogs from washer? [ 3 Answers ]

Speedball, you're my kind of guy. Advice to others here re washers backing up was really helpful. (Except for Fred, who suggested it was an infestation of Pipe Demons.) I can use strainers in the shower and kitchen sink, but no doubt my washer spews copious amounts of shredded kleenex, sock...

View more questions Search