Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annapolis7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2005, 01:12 PM
    My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help
    My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?
    BattleAngel14745 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2005, 06:03 AM
    Mentally Retarded
    Does your friend want to be brain dead or die? Because that what's happens when you body intakes chemical toxins. If your lucky enough to not kill yourself while doing it you will end up brain dead. It only takes one time for your brain to shut down because it's over loaded with toxins and then it's to late because your dead. Ask him if getting a buzz is worth being brain dead or dying? As much as much I hate saying this because I use "tough love" as a last resport, TELL HIS PARENTS. If you are serious about helping your friend you have to tell his parents. If you can't do that then your not that serious about helping your friend over come this. Wouldn't you rather have him be angry and upset at you for telling his parents then dead?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2005, 07:30 AM
    Gas
    Hi,
    Your friend is in for a lot of problems, death being the ultimate issue.
    Tell his parents. If you are really a friend, let them know. If this person hates you afterwards, maybe it will be only for a short time, until he realizes what he is doing.
    Drug addiction, glue sniffing, gas, aerosol cans, etc, cannot be helped until one realizes what they are doing.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    trainer0226 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2005, 07:15 PM
    help
    If this kid is in school yes talk to people at the school and let them deal with it. They are trained. I would agree with above. Talk to his parents with him. This is a life threatening problem, if you value your friendship or him for that matter. You need to get him help ASAP.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 17, 2005, 11:36 PM
    Intervene to save a life
    Tell his parents as soon as possible.better he hate you forever than die being stupid. :cool:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Assuming your friend is a minor, I am of the same opinion as talaniman, but would handle it this way:

Let him know that you care about him so much that you cannot stand by without acting.

Tell him that he needs to humbly go to his parents and admit his problem - and that he desires to get help.

... and that if he does not tell them, you will. Put a reasonable time limit on it (1-3 days, maybe), then follow through if he does not do it himself.

Be strong, Annapolis7.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Help
    Until he is ready to admit his problem, he is not wanting help yet.

Start with the school counselor, but the parents will and need to know to get all the help he needs,
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 06:14 AM
    We are told that the friend has admitted he needs help.

I do agree that the school counsellor may be a good option too, though.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 25, 2005, 02:10 PM
    Be a friend
    If you are his friend you will tell his parents, it is that simple, there is no other way. So be a friend and let them know he is in jeopardy.
    ericmoen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 03:18 AM
    I faced the same dilemma 3 years ago. I couldn't go to treatment. I went to a narcotics anonymous meeting. Although I didn't huff, addiction is addiction. They can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister addicted to prescription pain pills, how do I save her kids [ 18 Answers ]

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me w/ getting some info... Is anyone familiar w/ the "marchment act"? My sister has had an opiate addiction for over 3 years now, my mother and I tried an intervention w/ her and was able to get her in to tx for detox. We now believe that she is using...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search