Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AverageJoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Where did God come from?
    We are all Christians and attend church regularly. After service one Sunday my 8 yo comes to me and asks this question.

Daddy, if God created the heavens and the earth, and all living creatures, etc. then who created God? If he had a Mommy and Daddy, where did they come from?

I laughed... and then I started thinking about it... I was not sure how to answer her other than something like... "He has always been there honey, no one created Him. Needless to say that did not answer her question and she keeps asking me. How would you answer her?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Actually that did answer her question, that is the only real answer, He has always been. Merely he always was, there was never a time God was not there, at 8 they should be able to grasp it, Of course their logic says that is not possible, but remember there is no logic in faith.
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

May 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
    I would answer according to what your personal beliefs are and what you particular religion teaches. Me personally, I believe in eternal life. So if there is no end, then by default, there is no beginning. I also believe that I am a child of my Heavenly Father.
    It's a tough question to answer, and I don't want to impose on you my personal beliefs, so given the fact that we don't even know the answer to it, I would tell her that the only thing that is important to know, is how to live our life in a way that pleases God. Good luck. I will be in your shoes someday so let me know how it goes.
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

May 12, 2007, 05:49 AM
    I am glad to see that you took the question seriously and took the time to ponder it. It shows your child that the question was valued and an important one. We may be tempted to think that since they are a child we can give some vague answer which may have shown otherwise. I think it is important for our children to know that we truly believe in a loving Heavenly Father and he has always been there. And isn't wonderful when they still accept our answers?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 16, 2007, 09:46 AM
    The Bible tells us that he has always existed. So that answer would be the one I would give as well.

Psalm 90:2
    Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Habakkuk 1:12
    Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One?.

BTW
    An LDS would say that the biblical God was once a man who managed to get himself exalted into the God position. At least that's my take on the LDS concept. Am I right?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Why did he decide to create us when he did, a couple thousand years ago?
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Auttajasi
    If there is no end, then by default, there is no beginning.
    I don't follow this logic. If I set some kind of self-fueling machine counting from 0 and adding 1 every second, put it in a controlled environment and eject it into space to count until forever, surely I have created something that does not have an end, but I can directly point to the beginning.

Can you explain your logic here?
    -

May 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Why did he decide to create us when he did, a couple thousand years ago?
    That question could be asked about the creation of mankind taking place anywhere along an eternal continuum. We view time differently than he does.

Psalm 90:4
    For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

2 Peter 3:8
    But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Why did he choose to begin his creation when he did? Why do we choose to do something when we do? Because some things are viewed as more important or even necessary before others are done.

1. He chose to beget The Word and through him the creation of heaven and the angels.

2. Then the creation of the material universe which from our standpoint is approx. 13 to 15 billion years old.

3. Then within that material universe the preparation of the Earth, which from our standpoint is 3 billion years old, for human habitation.

Then, when all had been prepared he, decided it was time to create us.

Isaiah 45:12
    I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

BTW
    About the eternity you might be referring to that went by before the creation of heaven the angels and the material universe, we aren't told anything. But we are told that God is always active so we can be sure that he was active in some way during all that "time" as well. How? We can only speculate. Creation of other universes? Dimensions? Who knows?

May 16, 2007, 10:21 AM
    By create, I'm assuming that you mean our physical bodies. If you believe in eternity, you also believe that there is no beginning and no end. This also means that there is no concept of time in eternity. Time is a social construct that we developed because there is a beginning and an end to this life.
    Instead of using the word 'create,' I like using the word 'organize.' Again, the word create is a word that we developed to help us understand. It denotes 'a beginning.' I believe that God organized the Earth. I believe that God organized Adam after his own image. If you use the word 'organize' to understand our existence, then it makes sense to believe that we have always existed. We have not always existed in this form, but we have always existed. Just as a flower has always existed in whatever form (ie dirt, seed, water). Not always as a flower, but existence just the same. When I try to understand God, it helps me to ponder how my finite understanding hinders my ability to truly understand God. I believe that you need an infinate understanding to truly understand an infinate individual.

Just a few thoughts from a finite person.

May 16, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I don't follow this logic. If I set some kind of self-fueling machine counting from 0 and adding 1 every second, put it in a controlled environment and eject it into space to count until forever, surely I have created something that does not have an end, but I can directly point to the beginning.

Can you explain your logic here?
    Sure the numbers start at '0,' but one could argue that you could also count backwards from 0 to infinity. Better yet, why not start from the "middle" of infinity. This way you can go in either direction and still never hit the end.
    My point is that you can take any point in our human existence (here on Earth), call it the beginning, and go on for eternity, but you are still ignoring the fact that we don't remember where we were before we came here (if in fact you believe in a pre-mortal existance). We cannot define the beginning, at least by our own understanding.
    -

May 16, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Here are some interesting articles about God.

If God Created Everything, Who Created God?

The Extradimensional Nature of God
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
    God is, was, and always will be, he lives outside of time, he is timeless, he is eternal, he is omniprescent, he is in every place(except hell) every time, every possibility, etc. He is omniprescent in more than just place, also time. He is eternal. He is the Creator, not the Created.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Auttajasi agrees: I see your point, but I still defer to our finite understanding of our existence.
    As far as I'm aware, our existence is finite, so having a finite understanding wouldn't be particularly disadvantageous.

May 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
    As far as i'm aware, our existance is finite, so having a finite understanding wouldnt be particularly disadvantageous.
    It's disadvantageous because we are here trying to explain a being that neither have us have met, or have a particularly extensive knowledge about. If our finite understanding WAS advantageous, we wouldn't need to dispute the nature of God. When a tsunami wipes out hundreds of thousands of people, and you believe in God, then there is obviously something we don't or can't understand about God's plan or purpose for us. I think it is fascinating that the vast majority of people in the world believe in something that most don't have a knowledge of.
    With my finite understanding I can't comprehend:
    - the concept of eternity or timelessness
    - an all-powerful being
    - an all-knowing being
    I understand these concepts, but I can't comprehend how God hears and answers billions of prayers every day.
    In my opinion, it is going to take a better knowledge than what I have, to comprehend this.

Help me understand how (if) you can believe in God and a finite existence at the same time. I have not met anyone who believes in God that does not believe in an afterlife or the possibility of a prelife existence.
    Regno Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I would answer. God doesn't have to be a person. We just like god to be like you or me so we can imagine him. So for this reason god doesn't need to have a mum and dad.
    God created the world and us, so we must respect him and his world and live and act in a way which we believe is correct and respectfull of god, whoever he is.
    Jesus, was the son of god. A person like you and me. The person god chose to teach what is right and wrong.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I don't believe in God. I believe in the fact that the universe can explain exactly why we got here through the laws of nature. Sometimes when people talk about God, it sounds a lot to me like a personification of the universe.

I understand how a belief in the word of the Bible can lead to a belief of infinite existence. But the way you described the organisation instead of creation, is exactly the same as big bang theory, and scientific theories of the genesis of life. I feel that the only difference between you and I, is that I don't believe that an intelligence is needed to do this organisation. In a way, the laws of nature are my god. Or should that be the Laws of Nature.

May 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Capuchin,

Average Joe is asking "Where did God come from?" If you don't believe in God, this probably isn't the right post for you. We, who believe in God, are inputing our personal views and beliefs to gain a better understanding of God. Not much to add to the present conversation if you don't believe in God.
    I completely respect your personal beliefs, and I would love to participate in a post titled "How was the universe created?" or "What are your thoughts on the Big Bang Theory?" or maybe even "What happens to us when we die?"
    Here's a good one: "Can you believe in the Big Bang theory AND a God that created the universe or are they mutually exclusive?" I think I will start that post.

Let me know if you get one started so I can put my two cents in.

Respectfully Submitted--
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Trying to comprehend god is like trying to imagine what your vision would look like if you had eyes in the back of your head, or if you were blind, or trying to comprehend what infinity would look like, but much, much harder.
    PortalWriter Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2007, 04:53 PM
    I often wondered this myself until it occurred to me. The Bible says God has no beginning or end. He created time to begin with.
    So to ask "Where did He come from?" is to ask his origin. But since he has no beginning he has no origin. In other words he didn't come from anything. Because that would denote time and space.

So when did God begin? When time began.
    Where did he come from? From what He Himself created.

Because what you are really asking is when did God leave the infinite, and become finite.

Of course this is probably not an answer that would satisfy an eight year old, so to an eight year old I would simply say, "It is not important when God began, what is important is when He began in You."
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Auttajasi, I am trying to understand your beliefs, that is why I am here, as had I assumed that I was welcome to do so. Please let me know if this is not the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

God! [ 51 Answers ]

What does God look like? HANK :)

Do you need God [ 12 Answers ]

I know I do need god how about you I get through the daywith god I ask him for help and I get it but not all the time

God or Not? [ 30 Answers ]

Is it allowed for us to debate over the creation/evolution? Or if there is a God, or if Allah is God? If not, post your personal beliefs and why you believe that. I thought I Was Lutheran-Christian, but when I was confirmed, I truly asked myself "Why do I believe this?" And my only answer was...

Please GOD help me. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 14 year old daughter and she needs to come and live with me. She had scabies for two months and my x never took her or the rest of the family to the doctor the minute I found out I took them to the doctor right away and he said they had them so I bought their medicine and when I called my...

Oh my god what do I do... [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 7 months and I honestly thought that I loved her. I think that now I only really want her as a friend because she has tried to change me from what I am. I am the type who likes to go out and have fun with friends, and smoke and stuff like that. I was out...

View more questions Search