Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheEditor Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Can Bank Keep Inheritance?
    There is a bad credit card debt in my name from about 5+ years ago. It was originally $8,000 but grew to nearly $30,000 in interest, fees and penalties. There is a sum of money about to be distributed to me by the same bank. It was in an account with my dad's name on it and mine. Dad died. Because the money was in CD's and other funds it's taking some time to release, but recently, for the first time in two years, I've heard from a legal firm (supposedly) asking me to pay the nearly $30,000 debt again. No one has said they're taking this money, but it's strange they suddenly appear again. I'm older, disabled, living on social security and own absolutely nothing. The debt really isn't mine, but I understand that because it's in my name, they've got no one else to target. Can they keep the money that's supposed to be released soon? It's way less than half of what they want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 09:46 PM
    They will have to have a judgement to attach this money.

Did they ever get a judgement ?

May 11, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    They will have to have a judgement to attach this money.

Did they ever get a judgement ?
    No. No judgement. They never tried. I really have nothing and never did. However, I'm concerned that the release of funds is being overly delayed and wonder if they're stalling. How long would it take to get a judgement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 10:39 PM
    You have to be notified, served legal papers.

But you can cash a CD out same day, even if you cash it out early, you merely lose interest. You go in with legal ownership, and the CD, and they have to give you the money.

May 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
    It's mostly in mutuals and one group of them should be released this week; the other is a floating fund and can't be touched until July (every 3 months).
    How long does it take to get a judgement and don't I have an opportunity to challenge it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Victim of Bank Fraud victimized by Bank [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Arizona. I received a summons & complaint from Hilco re a Wells FargoBank (WFB)debt. 2 weeks ago. March 27 2007 I am a victim of felony crimes that began when WFB designed and printed 'convenience checks' accessing my accounts, unbeknownst to me, and negotiated access to my accounts with...

Inheritance [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away and I am inheriting a large amount of money. I am married and live in California and want to know if this will be community property or is it exclusively mine?

Can a bank draft be cancelled by a bank if the purchaser is in default on a loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I had recently purchased a bank draft from a bank to which I owe a large sum of money. I'am overdue on the minimum payment and the bank has started to make noises about taking legal action. Due to some reason the recipient has not deposited the bank draft yet. Can the bank legally cancel the...

Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I would like find out what inheritance of divorced couples and one is re-married:confused:If my pension will be divided between two husband even #1 not in my will?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be receiving an inheritance from an Aunt who past away. He will be receiving funds from a 401K account which we were told is all taxable and then from the sale of her home. Need some suggestions on how not to lose too much to Uncle Sam. Any help will be appericated.

View more questions Search