Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auntvera Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Anemia, kidney disease
    What types of anemia require regular blood transfusions about once a month. Can kidney disease require blood transfusions as well?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 04:01 AM
    I think you should know the common kidney functions, better to understand your aunts kidney problem. Her kidneys are damaged beyond some of these functions. Diabetes is the major cause of kidney disease...

# Toxin Removal: Your body is constantly accumulating toxins either coming from your food or being made as waste products by your cells. Many of these toxins would be fatal if they were allowed to build up in the body. The kidney breaks down and/or removes many of them from the body by getting rid of it in the urine.

# Drug Removal: Many drugs are either broken down and/or removed in the urine. Many drugs need to have their dosages reduced (some stopped) when the kidneys fail.

# Fluid Balance: The body is constantly gaining fluid (from the diet) and losing it (evaporation, urine, stool).
    Too little fluid and you become dehydrated; too much fluid and you swell up and can’t breathe.

# Electrolyte Balance: In order for cells to function properly, the concentration of electrolytes in the blood need to be tightly controlled. Here are the most important electrolytes and the organs that are particularly sensitive to their changes:

* Sodium (Na) – Brain and nerves
    * Potassium (K) – Heart, muscle and nerves
    * Calcium (Ca) – Heart, muscle, nerves, and bone
    * Magnesium (Mg) – Heart. Muscle and nerves
    * Phosphorus (PO3) – Muscles and bones

# Acid-Base Balance: A protein’s structure and function is very sensitive to changes in acid concentration (pH). The kidneys need to remove the extra acid that the body makes.

# Blood Pressure Control: The kidneys are responsible for making sure that blood pressure is stable over the long term. It is said that high blood pressure cannot exist for long if the kidneys did not let it happen.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

May 13, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by auntvera
    What types of anemia require regular blood transfusions about once a month. Can kidney disease require blood transfusions as well?
    Anemia is common in people with kidney disease. Healthy kidneys produce a protein called erythropoietin which stimulates the bone marrow to produce the proper # of red blood cells.

Epogen or Procrit (same drug, different companies) is given frequently to dialysis patients(& other pts with anemia)
    Your aunt can ask her doctor if her type of anemia can be treated with the drug. Unless it's a rare aplastic anemia, then she should find out about it. It is an antianemia medication by injection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Micro citic anemia [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone knew of a quick fix to bring my iron levels up, I got my reslults back yesterday and my iron level is 6.7 and my hymagloban is 109. Im feeling very very dizzy and as I also suffer panic attacks I am thinking this is why. So if anyone knows of anything I can...

Severe anemia [ 2 Answers ]

The other day I was told my hemoglobin was 7. I have no symptoms, and I refuse to go through invasive tests/expensive tests for something it seems to me I don't have. I am a Type 2 diabetic and a manic depressive ( I have been on lithium for 19 years). Can anyone enlighten me on this condition...

Anemia [ 4 Answers ]

What is the solution that the Blood Bank use to determine if the hemoglobin is okay for donation? And is it feasible for a person to prepare it for one's own use?

Kidney disease and deafness [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me if a parent has kidney failure and kidney disease if a child is conceived could that child be born deaf. My husband died of kidney failure and was 100% disabled because of operations done wrong. He died in VA hospital. My son is deaf and he has it so hard to find work. ...

View more questions Search