Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunilagrawal5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Excess Contribution in 401k plan
    What does the term excess contribution mean?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2007, 01:30 PM
    The maximum amount you can contribute to a 401K is (I believe) 15% of your wages or $15,000, which ever is less. If you contribute more, that is an "excess contribution".

It normally happens when you change jobs in the calendar year. If you have ONE job, the 401K custodian knows to NOT allow you to contribute an excess amount to the 401K. However, after a job change, the 401K custodian has no way of knowing what was contributed in the earlier job.

Had this happen to a client. He was NOT happy when the 6% excise tax was levied on the excess contribution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

Retirement plan contribution [ 7 Answers ]

I am in my companies retirement plan through American funds. When I first stared 1 1/2 years ago. After three months they started taking money out of my check to companies in there retirement plan. How do they have the right to take money out of my check without my consent? Is this legal? I...

401k excess deferral and penalty [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I recently changed job. I had already contriobuted the maximum 15000 with my first employer. Since my new employer gives match, I wanted to contribute to 401k and get the match. I called the plan admin from first employer and they told me that they can send the excess money back. ...

How to get interest from 401K plan if under 59? [ 3 Answers ]

Is anyone aware of a way to use the interest from a 401K plan for a person Not of retirement age? I currently lost my job, and I was wondering if there is a way to directly get Access to the interest that the 401K plan is earning, or if it possible to Transfer the 401K money to another...

401K Contribution Timing [ 2 Answers ]

I have an employer who has been deducting my 401K contributions from each paycheck since March of this year. None of these deductions are showing up in my 401K account on the third party administrators website and they don't know anything. I've trolled the IRS website, but have not been able to...

View more questions Search