Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryklee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Dna testing
    My children were born in Texas, we got court ordered child support through the Texas courts, then my ex- moved to Nebraska and is now telling me that one of my children isn't mine, How do I a court ordered dna test? Will I have to go to Nebraska? Or will she have to come here
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maryklee
    How do I a court ordered dna test? Will I have to go to Nebraska? or will she have to come here
    Hello mary:

It took me a minute to figure out what you're saying. Tell me if I'm correct. When you say "you got court ordered child support", I gather that you were ordered to pay child support. Now, your ex is telling you that one of your children isn't yours.

If that's right, you need to go back to court to challenge the child support order. The easiest way is to hire a lawyer. If you can't do that, do it yourself. The family court will listen. Write a letter to the family court telling them exactly what you told us here. Ask the judge to consider your letter a motion. That should get you a hearing.

A test can be conducted with her there and you in Texas.

excon
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 13, 2007, 02:15 AM
    Not sure if this is correct but is your ex getting the child support directly from you (you send her a check) or does she get it from the state of Texas (you send payment to them, they forward funds)? This matters in determining which state has jurisdiction. If you send the money directly to her you have to ask for paternity test, changes in child support, visitation, etc through the county that the initial order was from. If it's through the state of TX then you can contact child support enforcement and request a paternity test. I'm guessing that you were married so your name was placed on birth certificate by default. If not... then you may have a stronger case. If your name was placed at the time of birth and the child is several years old... most cases make the "father" of record continue to pay support. The belief is that you should have requested paternity test sooner. This is how you see so many men paying for a child they later claim is not theirs. Ultimately, if you truly believe the child is not yours and your adamant that you not be held responsible you should get an attorney. If nothing else, get a free consultation from a local attorney who could give you a better prognosis. Good luck. Cathy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 07:29 AM
    In the past, my ex and I had court ordered custody agreement in one state, after her and I both moved, we still had to go back to that court for all of our motions to change it.

So you will need to start in TX. ( but getting an attorney is the best way to go)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2007, 07:35 AM
    I think what's confusing here is you are using a very feminine screen name, yet you seem to be the father in this case.

My question is what was the purpose of your ex-wife telling you one of the kids isn't yours. If she will testify to that and you want to renounce the kid, depending on its age, you may be able to do so without a paternity test. Or, a paternity test might not change responsibility for the child even if you aren't the bio father.

So we really need more info and clarification here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd Chance DNA Testing. [ 1 Answers ]

I signed the birth certificate of my daughter when she was born without verifying paternity. Now, 2 years later, her mother had made numerous statements that lead me to believe that I was not the only possible candidate for paternity. We have never been a family and I have paid child support and...

Dna paternity testing [ 1 Answers ]

What's the cheapest way to go to get a paternity test done?can I get a paternity test done for free?

Dna Testing [ 10 Answers ]

Can you have someone take a DNA test while in Jail? Can you have someone sign a birth certificate while in Jail?

DNA Testing [ 1 Answers ]

My ex is listed as the father of my daughter on her birth cretificate... can I request a DNA test and if it is proven that she is not his can anything be donw to me cause she is not his?

View more questions Search