Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder
    How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime".

I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it!

How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused:

Hope hope hoping to not have to reinstall windows.

Is this a stupid question?: Can I just copy the Installer folder from another XP machine into the Windows folder of the computer that it's missing from?

Thanks!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 11, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Installer is a hidden folder. :) You'll need to unhide system files first.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Make sure your system is FULLY patched as the installer was a recent, post SP2, update.
    Failing that try system restore.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I've got hidden folders visible. I'll hope to find I'm missing a Windows patch or update. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't open windows XP desktop folder [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My father had a motherboard failure on his computer. He decided to get a new computer. But there is a folder on the desktop of his old computer called PICTURES that he wants to access. I installed his old HD into the new computer as a second HD. I am able to access the DOCUMENTS...

How to take ownership of a folder in Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Well this is what happen one day when I was trying to start my comptuer had a error saying "Windows cannot start because the follwoing file is missing or corrupted" I tried to repair but but did not repair so I reinstalled windows When windows was reinstalled I tried to open the file in which...

Strange files beginning $ in Windows folder [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone explain why all of a sudden I have about 50 or so hidden files starting $MSI31 uninstall_etc , &NTServicePackUninstall$, $UninstallKB824146$, etc etc and also about 30 Windows Media profile files starting WMPrffor(etc).prx located in my Windows folder. I know they're hidden files but I...

My favorites folder [ 4 Answers ]

Every time I gain access to the internet (dialup) , 4 websites appear in my favorites folder. I've never accessed those websites but they appear every time I gain access to the web! Any ideas how I can prevent that from happening? Thanks for your help!!

Windows XP Folder and Search Box Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I am at my wits end with this. I am running windows XP and when I try to open any folder on my computer a search box automatically pops up and the name of the folder such as My Music will be in the search box Look In: field. To get the information I have stored in any of my folders I have to do a...

View more questions Search