Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morado18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
    What to wear, golf award ceremony
    My husband has a Golf award ceremony dinner at a country club and the invitation says casual dress. What should I wear?

Help!
    Morado 18
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I would wear nice, but not super dressy slacks or skirt (perhaps linen?) and a nice blouse, but in a casual fabric. Maybe a nice tailored white cotton top, if you have one.

"Casual" is so meaningless these days, I wish people would stop using it on invitations... in some cases casual is flip flops, shorts and a T-shirt. At a country club though, I should think casual is more "business casual".

Enjoy and congrats to your husband!
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

May 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
    It's a country club...

Remember... one can never be overdressed, only underdressed !

Linen is a great choice.
    Always elegant, sophisticated and in fashion... however, it does wrinkle so if that bothers you don't go there.

By the sound of it I would opt for a classic dress.

Enjoy !
    quaint11 Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Casual dress is a very subjective dress code, but considering your event, you could find nice ideas of outfits in this catalogue: Newport-News: Women's Clothing

More specifically, you might consider outfits like these for your event.

Bandini skirt

Flutter-hem crochet dress

May 11, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by quaint11
    Casual dress is a very subjective dress code, but considering your event, you could find nice ideas of outfits in this catalogue: Newport-News: Women's Clothing

More specifically, you might consider outfits like these for your event.

Bandini skirt

Flutter-hem crochet dress

Hmmmm, this is interesting.
    Is this what one would wear to a country club ?
    Being European I am just asking... I would think that a country club is a little posh and conservative.. now I am really curious what one thinks ?

May 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsy456
    Hmmmm, this is interesting.
    Is this what one would wear to a country club ?
    Being European I am just asking... I would think that a country club is a little posh and conservative.. now I am really curious what one thinks ?

I suppose it really is a matter of opinion, as casual dress codes are subjective, but in my area of East Texas, such attire is entirely acceptable for such functions.

Keep in mind, clothing looks different on different people. Not everyone will wear an outfit with the same demeanor, which makes the outfit look different on different personality types.

While country clubs cater to the community's elite, per se, they are no longer as stuffy and conservative as the image implies. The country clubs I'm familiar with maintain an appropriate and stylish dress code for their social and award events. Ceremonies are the one time to shine, so it has everything to do with wearing an outfit you feel comfortable in.

May 12, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by quaint11
    I suppose it really is a matter of opinion, as casual dress codes are subjective, but in my area of East Texas, such attire is entirely acceptable for such functions.

Keep in mind, clothing looks different on different people. Not everyone will wear an outfit with the same demeanor, which makes the outfit look different on different personality types.

While country clubs cater to the community's elite, per se, they are no longer as stuffy and conservative as the image implies. The country clubs I'm familiar with maintain an appropriate and stylish dress code for their social and award events. Ceremonies are the one time to shine, so it has everything to do with wearing an outfit you feel comfortable in.

Thanks for the information, always good to know !
    Especially living in a "relatively" new country...

I live in LA and had a meeting at the Beverly Hills Country Club the other day... that's why I was a little surprised to see the suggestions, but it depends on the occasions.

Thank you for your explanation.
    It always helps !

May 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Perhaps this will further elaborate on the subject at hand.

How to Dress Country Club Casual -

"Though each country club has different standards, the following provides some general guidelines for casual club dressing. For more information, contact your club's concierge."

1. Feel free to wear in the clubhouse whatever outfit you'd wear on the golf course or tennis courts: tennis skirts, sneakers or even shorts are fine.

2. Wear a casual dress, trousers or a skirt that is knee-length or longer for brunches, luncheons and casual dinners (before 7 p.m.). Light fabrics such as linen, silk, cotton and wool gabardine are best for day wear.

3. Observe a stricter dress code for dinners or events after 7 p.m. Wear dresses, slacks and skirts of dressier fabrics and colors appropriate for the season and time of day.

4. Choose accessories on the basis of practicality during the day. Carry a tote large enough to accommodate your needs for the day - suntan lotion, scarf, bottled water, compact, your day planner and a pocketbook.

5. Scale evening accessories down to a simple handbag with room enough for lipstick, cash, keys, a cellular phone and other absolute necessities.

6. Keep jewelry to a minimum - a strand of pearls, pearl earrings or diamond studs are great for casual wear. Save your more imposing jewelry for formal affairs.

7. Wear shoes appropriate to the time of year, time of day and occasion. Leather sandals and loafers are acceptable for daytime events, while pumps and evening shoes are best for events after 7 p.m.

Tips & Warnings:
    -It's always a plus to have your accessories well coordinated, but the days of matching hat, bag and shoes are fast declining. Feel free to mix and match accessories as you see fit.
    -Wear sportswear-inspired pieces, but don't go overboard. Leave the sneakers, spandex, Lycra and cleats in the locker room.
    -Some clubs prefer that women refrain from wearing trousers. Check with your club's concierge.

May 12, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Excellent!

Thank you.

:)

May 12, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Always glad to help. :-D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planning a wedding ceremony... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! :) I'm planning a secular wedding ceremony... Does anyone have any good ideas for readings/poetry, or 'rites'/ceremonious acts that we could incorporate? I've thought about doing a hand-binding ceremony, including some music and poetry - though nothing is totally fixed yet, and...

Award of Arbitration [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what this means? I have researched it online, but it doesn't make sense to me!

Second Wedding Ceremony [ 8 Answers ]

My husband is in the military. We have been together for a little over 5 years, but only married (this month will be) 9 months. We planned on getting married when he graduated basic training. He told me that he wasn't going to be able to come home before going off to his first duty station. I was...

View more questions Search