Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zipora Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Do I have a right to an effective defense
    I want to fire my public defender in hopes of being appointed a better defense attorney. D

Do you think this is the way to get more effective representation for free ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 07:57 AM
    First if you want another public defender you have to go in front of the judge and ask him to appoint a new attorney. Or depending on the area you go to the head of the public defenders office and ask for a new one.

But I am not sure what you want with a public defender, remember most have no budget to have any research done, ( you would have to pay for tests of evidence and the such) they have no budget for expert witnesses, you have to pay for them. Some courts have budgets many don't. Some courts don't even have a PD department, but only have area attorneys that are required to do pro bono work for the PD department.

So often merely losing is not a reason to be able to change attorneys, you will need proof they are not doing their job.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zipora
    I want to fire my public defender in hopes of being appointed a better defense attorney. Do you think this is the way to get more effective representation for free?
    Hello zip:

You are entitled to effective councel. However, just because you're entitled to it, doesn't mean that you'll get it. Good for you to have recognized that fact.

Yes, you can fire him. Write him a letter firing him and telling him why. Send a copy to the judge. Send another letter to the judge asking for new appointed councel. You should get it.

However, you asked if this is a way to get better representation for free.

The answer to that question is NO. This is a way to get another lawyer who may or MAY NOT be better. And, he's going to be the last lawyer they'll appoint. If you want better, you'll need to hire it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUI Defense [ 9 Answers ]

I was accused of DUI in Los Angeles County. The main facts I have in my favour are: 1. The police did not actually stop me because my car was out of gas. 2. The car was not turned on. 3. The keys were not in the ignition. 4. The police can not prove when I stopped driving. 5. The...

Self Defense [ 11 Answers ]

In a state where you do not have a duty to retreat if attacked in home, or any place you have the right to be, and it is lawful to carry a concealed weapon for self defense purposes, my sons friend was assaulted by a person walking by my sons truck. Story-My son and his friend were on the way out...

Self defense in home [ 9 Answers ]

I am being tried for threatening. Someone entered my home, I told them to get out... they refused, so I called 911. The next day I was arrested for telling him I'd pick up a knife if he wouldn't get out of my face. Since I was in my own home & he had no right here & I called the police for help,...

Does anyone know the laws of self defense in Maine? [ 3 Answers ]

I am being charged with the crime of assault. In a Maine district court. On August 29, 2004 an ex- friend and I were involved in an altercation. My friend was drunk coming back from a bar when he decided to try and take my cars keys without my consent. As I told him to give me back my car keys he...

Defense against immoral conduct? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, A friend(Key Word) and school advisor recently divorced. Her husband had me served with a Arbitration Paper. It claims immoral acts on my part caused his divorce. I have never been to there home, and have several E-Mails from her which show I rebuked her advances and that I was only talking...

View more questions Search