Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zola Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 06:03 AM
    XP laptop networked to Vista PC
    I have lost the wireless connection on my laptop and cannot connect to my desk PC or the internet. I have checked and double checked every setting and what I am getting now is looking for IP address, and it just tries that all the time. I use a Belkin router and have tried disconnecting that and trying again.
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Did it lose the WEP/WPA/etc.. Key settings?

The key is usually saved in a cache file for later usage on an AP, but every once in awhile that key will go away for no reason at all, and you will have to re-enter the proper security key to re-authenticate.

That may be one problem.

Also, try power-cycling both of your routers. You probably have a cable/dsl modem, and a separate wireless modem. Take the power supply away from both (unplug them), and then plug the cable/dsl modem in first, wait for 30 seconds, then plug the wireless modem in.

Then try to reauthenticate.

If that doesn't work, maybe just "release and renew" from command prompt.

1. Go to command prompt
    2. Type: ipconfig /release
    3. Type ipconfig /renew

Sometimes using the wildcard of *all helps if you have multiple NICs.

You can also try: ipconfig /flushdns
    Then try to release/renew

Let me know if that works.

Also try: ping 127.0.0.1
    Let me know what the results are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Cannot get networked computer to play WOW [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this in another category but hopefully can get some help here. I have 4 computers networked together, two upstairs and two downstairs. My setup is... From internet modem to Belkin Wireless G router. Two ethernet cables going from router to two computers upstairs (hardwired). The two...

Networked CD crive is confusing me [ 2 Answers ]

Running XP This computer had a mapped CDROM drive which was mapped as D:. After intalling a new CDROM drive I noticed that it windows did not add a new drive but instead the Mapped drive is acctually the drive inside the computer. Renaming the mapped drive to E: gives me a Normal CDROM drive...

View more questions Search