Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tushars Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Slow Network
    Hi,
    I have 80 computers in Ethernet network which consist of two logical LAN's. LAN1 is 192.18.1.0/24 consist of 75 PC's and LAN2 169.254.165.0 consist of 5 computers. But now some times my network is getting very slow. And after restarting network switch it is becoming normal. Is this happens because of huge broadcasting?If yes what's the reason for broadcasting and how to avoid it? Is faulty NIC causes broadcasting?

Any one please suggest me?

Thanks
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 13, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Network slow downs or poor performance could be caused by many factors. You implied in your post that you reboot one switch which connects all of your 80 PC's. This tells me that you have a modular type switch that can accommodate large number of ports. Those types of switches are generally enterprise class. If that's not the case then please let us know how many switches and make/models.

So you listed two networks each in their own VLANs. Do you have a router in your architecture that allows traffic from LAN1 to LAN2? Have you checked with the switch manufacturer to see if there has been reported problems for your type switch or if there is a newer firmware code for the switch? Are you confident that none of your PC's attached to the network is possibly launching an attach on your network? What about faulty NICs within PC's that could be flooding your network? Are you running a Loop-free topology (if you have more than one switch)? Have you tried looking at the switch to what is consuming your resources (i.e. link bandwidth, cpu processing of flooding traffic, mac exhaustion which could flood traffic between LANs, etc)?

As you can see there are many factors that can affect performance and the fastest switch on the market can still be brought down to its knees so getting a faster switch may not solve your problem.
    nowatkins Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tushars
    Hi,
    I have 80 computers in Ethernet network which consist of two logical LAN's. LAN1 is 192.18.1.0/24 consist of 75 PC's and LAN2 169.254.165.0 consist of 5 computers. But now some times my network is getting very slow. And after restarting network switch it is becoming normal. Is this happens because of huge broadcasting?If yes whats the reason for broadcasting and how to avoid it? Is faulty NIC causes broadcasting?

Any one please suggest me?

Thanks
    Check to see if there are any updates available for your switch. (eg: firmware)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Network Connection [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in determining why my network connection has slowed after being added to a new domain. This is a concern because there are approximately 50 other computers linked to this new domain with no problems. The problem occurred when our system administrator had swapped one win 2000 server out...

Forced Air Furnace flame good, fan goes slow then fast then slow, etc [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a forced air propane furnace in a "Park Model" rv trailer. (This is a bit smaller than a mobile home) The furnace is used infrequently as the trailer is located in a sumer resort vacation area, however we do like to go up a couple of times in the winter months. Furnace was...

Slow logon when network cable plugged [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my logon speed. I have 2 ethernet cards in both of my PCs. I use one card on each PC to connect to the internet via a router, and this setup is fine. But I recently connected my PCs together using the other ethernet cards and a crossover cable. ...

Slow PC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi New to this site so hope Ive come to the correct forum! Anyway MY PC is driving me mad! It is running so slowly. I regularly run anti virus, spyware, registry clean, firewall etc. etc. I am using Windows XP, have 752MB RAM, 1.24GHz processor, 37.2GB hard drive space, of which...

Slow network [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madam I have a network with win nt4 server and 30 win 2000 clientes ,my problem is :sometimes my network becomes very slow even the clients work localy I mean (they work on their own PC with graphic applicationes such as corel draw and photo shope and their hard disk) and do not...

View more questions Search