Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Do cats get lonely?
    Do cats crave socialization? Do they feel alone when they are at home all day? What is the best thing I can do for my cat other than the occasional play date? We have a cat that has to be kept separate from our other animals because he has a contagious skin condition. While he is healing, is there any way I can make his life better.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Cats are social animals so I think they need interaction with other beings. I thought having 2 cats would be good for mine and kept 2 from one litter. They didn't get along well after they became adults. So much for that idea.

My cat adores my son and seeks him out wherever he is. He is content to be home alone while my son is at school or work, but the minute he gets home the cat is in his lap.

If you can keep him from being isolated while he heals, I think that would be the best. However, if his condition could make your other pets sick then you don't really have a choice.
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Aww, my heart goes out to your kitty.

Yes, animals can get depressed and lonely. Spend some time with him everyday, give him some treats and play his favorite game and I'm sure he'll forgive you when it's time for him to come back to the world. =)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 09:01 AM
    gogosean, cats do get lonely as Emland and Tigerfeather have stated above. They require the mental and physical stimulation that socialization brings. I am sorry your cat is going through this problem. There are some things you can do to help him. Is it possible for you to buy or borrow an enclosed "cat condominimum?" I am referring to the very large cages that you can put in a play area that will challenge him while not completely cutting him off from others. The other animals can see him and stick a little of their paw in without actually coming into contact with the skin condition. The best part is that he can see them and won't feel so isolated. They can still interact and entertain each other a bit without the fear of contact. If it is possible, you could borrow a very large dog crate, and place one of those cat "playgrounds" inside of it. Place and hide toys around inside of the "condo" that will provide stimulation for him. When you are home, use those cat toys that are on a long stick with a fake mouse (or some toy that dangles down), so you can poke it through the cage and play with him, if he is suffering from any skin condition in which you yourself cannot pet him and play with him for fear of getting infected yourself (ringworm, sarcoptic mange,. ). The cage wires will create an added stimulation for him in that he can't get to the toy so easily. He would enjoy himself immensely with that and it would be the kindest thing to do for him while he is recuperating. Here are some sites that will give you an idea of what I am talking about, in case I am not making myself very clear.

Pussicat Playhouse with Tunnel Cat Gym - CatsPlay.com - Fun furniture, condos and climbing gyms for cats and kittens.
    Cat furniture - one of the best cat trees, cat condos and cat furniture

These can run on the expensive side but these are just examples. I don't know what your financial situation is but you can do a bit more research on your own and see if there is anything out there that might fit the bill that is less expensive. If you are at all handy, you can pretty much build one yourself with bits of old carpet and wood. Check your newspaper's classified section and see what tag sales are in your area this weekend, and see if anyone is selling an old large dog crate (the kind that you can fully see into that is made of steel). You just need to make sure that it is a crate large enough to put in a little "kitty condo", a litter box, and toys. It actually will be something that they all can use when your cat is completely healthy, by just leaving the door to the crate open all the time. It can also be used again in the future, in case you have another problem in which a cat needs to be isolated.
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Hi,

We do have the condo. I think the tunnels are a great idea. I pick some up this weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm so lonely [ 10 Answers ]

Can some 1 help me with ways 2 get my ex back I'm 31 years old I have 4 kids none of which are my ex partners he was so loving towards me an my children we had a disagreement 1 day an he left 4 another town he's not from this country and a few weeks after we finished I relised how much I really do...

Lonely child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a 7 year old daughter. She is fantastic and I love her to bits. She is an only child and I have recently got married, so she has a new Step Dad. We have also just moved a long way from former friends and family as my husband is in the Air Force. I have a lot of guilt about...

View more questions Search