Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Breaking up hard soil
    What do I add to soil to soften it up.

I live in Long islan ny and when diging trenches for sprinklers I noticed that below a foot deep my soil is almost rock hard and has a lot of round rocks. I know for a fact that the area was a forest not more than 2 years ago because Google maps overhead photo shows that there were threes there no house. We bought the house new. Its right across from a park where I can get good topsoil and mulch for free but hoping for an easier method.

The back yard also has very little grass growth because of all the trees which I am cuting down in my spare time. During heavy rains there is a lot of water there. I just airated the whole property but didn't know I should power reake which ill do before winter and next year. But this only handles the top 1 foot or so I think I have to go deaper so that the nutrients get there because the soil is yellow bad and I would like to plant better things in key areas. Or eaven drain it so I can have raised planter beds that won't rot from flooding.

The property next to me is a ditch that is supposed to alow the water to drain there but does not work much since it is always dry and my backyard isn't.

Thank you.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Soil pipe leak (I think) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a problem with the soil pipe that we first noticed because of smells in the upstairs toilet. We recently began redecorating the kitchen, which is located below and to one side the toilet, and seem to have unleashed a similar smell (but quite a bit more potent). The housing which...

Clay Soil Lawn [ 1 Answers ]

Our lawn is 1 year old and has lot of Clay content in it.. I treated this spring with Lime and fertilizer... Attached picture shows the current condition of the lawn.. Please tell me what I should do.. Should I till & put topsoil or just areate and put top soil... There is currently no topsoil...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.