Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2005, 01:45 PM
    Filling a PVC to cast iron gap (inside)
    What would be a good, long term product to fill the 1/4"-1/2" gap between the 4" PVC pipe I just installed and the inside rim of the cast iron bell at the stack? Here's what the deal is: I used a Fernco 4" to 4" ring and tapped that in as far as it would go. I also tapped the 4" PVC pipe in as far as it would go. Because the 4" PVC will not actually go into the inside diameter of the inside of the cast iron bell it sits face to face with it, but not perfectly. The bottom gap is exaggerated a bit since I had to slope the pipe in a bit for drainage. This does 2 things, it increases the gap at the bottom and increases the ledge fron the bottom of the cast iron creating a perfect place for water and waste to sit and pool. I am feaful that over time this will start to ooze out the bottom under the PVC pipe and past the rubber gasket. I ran some water in and it does indeed pool there. Not sure what to do, if anything. I want to be confident ptior to gluing everything up.

So, can I use a silicone caulk or some other product to fill and bridge this gap effectively or will it eventually fill itself over time from waste and use?

Thanks.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2005, 10:01 PM
    I'm not following you. Why doesn't the 4 inch pipe fit into the 4 inch fernco?? Or do I have that wrong? Sometimes (if it really all is 4 inch) you've got to file/sand the edge of the pvc pipe a little and then grease it to get it to fit in the adapter if it is one of those gaskets that fits in the bell of a pipe.

Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2005, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous
    What would be a good, long term product to fill the 1/4"-1/2" gap between the 4" PVC pipe I just installed and the inside rim of the cast iron bell at the stack? Here's what the deal is: I used a Fernco 4" to 4" ring and tapped that in as far as it would go. I also tapped the 4" PVC pipe in as far as it would go. Due to the fact that the 4" PVC will not actually go into the inside diameter of the inside of the cast iron bell it sits face to face with it, but not perfectly. The bottom gap is exaggerated a bit since I had to slope the pipe in a bit for drainage. This does 2 things, it increases the gap at the bottom and increases the ledge fron the bottom of the cast iron creating a perfect place for water and waste to sit and pool. I am feaful that over time this will start to ooze out the bottom under the PVC pipe and past the rubber gasket. I ran some water in and it does indeed pool there. Not sure what to do, if anything. I want to be confident ptior to gluing everything up.

So, can I use a silicone caulk or some other product to fill and bridge this gap effectively or will it eventually fill itself over time from waste and use?

Thanks.

I don't quite understand why you couldn't get a Fernco rubber gasket to work but there are still several ways to connect PVC to cast iron. You can yarn and pour a lead and okum joint or if you don't wish to use melted lead you may yarn in okum and then caulk in "shreded lead",(lead wool) to secure it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

PVC into an Cast Iron opening [ 1 Answers ]

I have old cast iron drain pipes. The bathroom sink has a 2in galvanized pipe that screws into this cast iron pipe. The galvanized pipe is rusting out. Can I replace this galvanized pipe with plastic pipe?

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

Connecting pvc to cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

How can I connect a pvc pipe to a cast iron bell? What type of adhesive should be used?

How to remove cast iron [ 6 Answers ]

I have some sewage pipes in my basement that I have to remove because one of them is cracking and leaking. The problem is that I can't get the joints apart. Does anyone know how to remove the sealing compound for old cast iron pipes. They were put in around 1945 so I am pretty sure that there is...

View more questions Search