Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infinityyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Is Bsc useless?
    Hello,
    I am Aditi from Mumbai and I have just completed my Hsc Board Exams.After lot of thinking I have decided to take Bsc in Biotechnology as genetics is one subject that interests me a lot.But people say that Bsc has no value at all . Is it so ?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 01:26 AM
    It would be helpful to know what a Bsc is first before making an attempt at answering your question.
    Kirand Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 01:25 AM
    I think Bsc means Bachelors of Science? I live in the US... and if you are interested in something like genetics.. or biotech... I think bachelors is the first path you will take before attaining any bigger degree like masters, or phD, or MD... I don't know how the system in India and other countries work... but that's how it works in the US... Everyone has to do those 3-4 years of bachelors here (take irrelavent pre-requisites like history,arts, etc and, basic biology, chemistry, physics, biochem courses) before they do masters, MD, or phD. Although different universities have differnet requirements when it comes to what courses you should take... but everyone has to go through these steps here.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 28, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Here in the USA, a BSc in a field like biotech might get you an internship in a lab. An MS would be minimal for building a career with earning and promotion potential. For research and university positions, a PhD would be essential. I suspect the situation is not that different in Mumbai.

On a different career track, you might combine a BSc in biotech with an MBA if you're interested in building a management career in biotech. In any case, a BSc is certainly not worthless!

By the way, liberal arts prerequisites can help you hone your critical and communication skills. Don't underestimate the value of effective written and verbal communication skills in your future career path, particularly if you're interested in moving into a management capacity some day.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Useless Constitutional Law? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm talking about the president's not being allowed to declare war without Congressional consent and his getting around that by simply not declaring war and going to war anyway. If it's that easy to get around it why not trash the law altogether since it certainly isn't saving lives or hindering...

It's weird and useless but please try! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. for many years I've been wanting to wear a chain in my neck. But when I did after 1h ++ my neck began to itch and itch really bad until I would scratch my skin open and infect it. Not so long ago I found in an old box in my house, a cream called ''spectro gluvs - skin irritant protection...

View more questions Search