Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Sick puppy, what should I do?
    Im getting worried, trying not to panic. This is my first dog.

She's a jack russell cross chihuaha, 13 weeks old, female.

Yesterday morning she kept gagging and vomiting into her mouth then swallowing it. That happened about 5 times, she was heaving a lot each time.

Last night she had a little diaroea.

This morning she's refusing her food which is VERY unlike her, she loves her food. (pedigree food brand)

She keeps shaking, and isn't playful at all today, she was yesterday.

She doesn't look well in her face. Her gums are pale pink if that means anything? Ive looked up that white gums mean she's dehydrated. I also found it said online to not give any food to a sick puppy for 24 hours. So I've removed all food and treats. Her stomach must be empty because it keep smaking very loud hunger sounds.

Please help, Ive never been in this situation before, I'm feeling very alone and worried :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 04:30 AM
    I do think you need to get her to the vet today. Please don't put it off into the weekend. I see nothing in your post to limit the problem to being an obstruction. The symptoms aren't quite right for parvo, but too often it doesn't have the foul diarrhea to start with and it is only one of a number of diseases that a 13 week old puppy could have.

If you were sent advice in a PM here, I would post it in the public forum before acting on it. That way experienced people can evaluate it. Anybody is free to post here, your only protection from poor answers is the diligence of others. The site discourages answering question by PM or email.
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Thank you labman. She slept on my lap for an hour and half and was much better, so I fed her and she was playful again and no more shaking. She's better now hopefully :)

Someone told me it could have just been because I was giving her rawhide chews every day and dogs can't digest it, so it made her sick. Hopefully that's all it was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I am the proud mother (not biologically, of course) of 10 mixed breed puppies. Today, one of them is ill. She is not eating, vomiting, and has loose stool. She will, however, drink water and her gums seem to still be pink. I am very concerned for her and for her 9 siblings. Please help!

My new puppy is sick! HELP [ 17 Answers ]

Well I just got a new puppy about a week ago and he is about 4weeks old! And he started sneezing and vomiting and won't keep anything down!! And I don't have the money to take him to the animal hospital! SO I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do at home to help my puppy!! PLEASE HELP

Sick Puppy! [ 32 Answers ]

I adopted a puppy from our local pound two days ago. He's about nine weeks old. At first, he was relatively playful, ate a bit (although not as much as I though he should), pooped once (solid) and seemed generally okay except for a hacking cough. I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he was found...

Sick Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

On Friday night my puppy (10 month old beagle) was suddenly really lathargic, wobbly, practically falling over. We took her to the vet and they admitted her for the night. Pumped her full of fluids and she was released the following day, back to her old self. The vet figured she ate something...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

:( My Little 4 Month Old Puppy Has Been Vomiting For The Past :( Hour Off And On And She Has Slobber Running Out Of Her Mouth Like Water, I Tried To Give Her Water And That Just Came Back Up, I Don't Recall My Pup Getting Into Anything Unless Some Peanuts The Dropped On The Floor, Could This Have...

View more questions Search