Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngleaves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
    1st mortgage and HELOC can we sell?
    We still owe on a first mortgage and we have a HELOC. Can we put our home on the market and use the proceeds to pay off the HELOC? We are pretty sure with the sale we would receive enough to cover both.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Yes. There will have to be a final accounting at the closing to determine how much of the proceeds go to the mortgage and your HELOC to close out both loans.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 11, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ngleaves
    We still owe on a first mortgage and we have a HELOC. Can we put our home on the market and use the proceeds to pay off the HELOC? We are pretty sure with the sale we would receive enough to cover both.
    I don't know if you understand that more than likely the HELOC is secured by your home and therefore a lien would have been recorded. With these type loans, in lieu of the title company, the bank sometimes handles signing documents with the homeowner. Because of this, the homeowner doesn't understand or it isn't explained properly that a lien will be recorded against the home.

When you are in escrow, a title search will take place and any liens against the property will be disclosed. All liens against the property will need to paid off in full at the time of closing from the proceeds due to the Seller. If the proceeds are not enough, then the Seller will need to come up with the additional funds due. Once the HELOC is paid in full, the title insurer will require the Lender to close it out.

Hope this helps you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling with 1st & 2nd Mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

We need to sell our home in which we are a little "upside down" -- between the first and second mortgages, we owe about $3000 more than the house is valued at right now. A friend told me I could ask the second mortgage holder to release their lien so that we can sell the house, and then write up...

Use 401k to pay down heloc [ 3 Answers ]

We have a HELOC with a balance of 83000 at 8.25 int. rate. We are wondering if it would be a good idea to withraw 100k to pay down the HELOC. We are in 15 tax bracket. Thanks

Quit claim and heloc [ 1 Answers ]

After twenty years in the military it was discovered that my husband was stealing he is now incarcerated. Before he left he had his mother cosign for a heloc using my house as collateral. He also forged checks draining my personal bank account. The bank will not speak to me they will only...

When should I sell? [ 3 Answers ]

I was notified I was inheriting property in the Seattle area, a total of 5 lots. The value estimates so far are between 800k and 1.5 million. There are no mortages owned on any of these and these properties are only a portion of all properties that were distributed among many heirs. I don't live...

View more questions Search