Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfk4981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Does this constitute DEFAMATION of character?
    I went into work today and was handed a copy of a Girls Gone Wild DVD that was made FIVE YEARS AGO. The label read:
    GIRLS GONE WILD:2003
    "MY NAME"
    "MY TITLE AT WORK AND THE LOCATION OF THE STORE"

A customer apparently passed out these copies last night in the store. I was so humiliated, I cried hysterically and was sent home. I don't even want to go back to work for fear of who has seen the video.
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cfk4981
    I went into work today and was handed a copy of a Girls Gone Wild DVD that was made FIVE YEARS AGO. The label read:
    "MY NAME"

A customer apparently passed out these copies last night in the store. I was so humiliated, I cried hysterically and was sent home. I don't even want to go back to work for fear of who has seen the video.
    To me, yes it is and there is more such as "Sexual Harassement" and many other legal issues. In this situtation, get a lawyer.
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cfk4981
    "MY NAME"

I actually have some experience with this question, oddly enough. Someone had a $5 radio and headphones stolen from a gym and the guy "just knew it was me" and told other members. He got a letter from my attorney with a promise to collect much more than $5 from his paycheck each month with a defamation suit. After I gave my letter to the gym manager so he could tell the member to cease any defamation against me, he remembered that a girl had found his $5 headset on the floor and turned it in.

If it is true that you were on the DVD, then you are limited in claiming slander/libel. Look up slander on wikipedia.com. If it is true you are on the DVD, there have been class action lawsuits you may want to look into to see if you are a party to the rewards for taping your lude behavior without permission.

If it is not true that you are on the DVD, file a police report for whatever resembles harassment that you can substantiate, with as many witnesses as you can. You main goal is not to document a crime, as much as it is to document the event actually happened. Since you were afraid to go to work, there is an issue with lost wages and the ability to maintain gainful employment. Get an attorney that will work for about 30% of the settlement or less.

This kind of situation is not that complicated, so shop around for hired guns before you lay down any cash for an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
    I guess the question I did not see asked, where you in the DVD, if you were in it, and it was true, then there is nothing you can do, you can not sue someone for telling the truth about you.

If you were not in the DVD then you can. It would not be harassment if a customer passed them out, harassment from a legal view point has to be form a person at work ( an employee)

And if it is true and you are in it, a good reminder that our pasts will come back and haunt us at time. Such as those nude photos boyfriends have, or "sex videos coupels make of thierself" and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I let people know who my molester is, is that Defamation of Character? [ 16 Answers ]

I want to know if I tell people who molested me if that would be defamation of character. We go to the same school and have some friends in common. This person formed a cult that I WAS NOT involved in. They trapped me in a basement and tortured a molested me for 6 hours. (Intent to kill. I was not...

Defamation of Character [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can counter-sue for defamation of character and slander for this situation. I responded to a person's house who called police. Upon arriving there the person was uncooperative. He decided that he did not want the police there anymore and in order for him to shut...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

Defamation? [ 32 Answers ]

I am suing an establishment for overserving the driver of a car I was in that was hit by another car... confusing I know... the establishment is now threatening to sue me for defamation saying that I have ruined its reputatioin... can I be sued for suing?

View more questions Search