Are patents current assets
    Are patents current assets?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
    No.
    Bookmedic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 09:22 AM
    They are considered a Fixed Asset since they are long term assets.
    jal343 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by preddr6
    Are patents current assets?
    No, a Patent is an intangible asset because it's difficult to put a monetary value to it.
    bunnyKutty Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

May 12, 2007, 02:30 AM
    No. Patents are not current assets but fictitious assets. There is no physical asset existing in the business but the benefit out of acquring the asset is enjoyed by the business and therefore the cost of patents is spread over the life of the asset. A part of the cost is charged to income statement as amortization and the balance exists in the balance sheet as an asset.
    Bookmedic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 06:42 AM
    I just went through this with this audit with our CPA's since we have a new patent. I had this as an Asset under long term with just the name Patents. They moved it to a fixed asset with the cost that we have incurred so far being the value. Then they added an account to Assets (like a goodwill value) (intangible) and put a value on the patent based on expected value.

Is this not true? If not, then I will contact our Auditors and ask why they did what they did to our current 2006 books.\

Bookmedic
    bunnyKutty Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

May 14, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Assets are broadly classified as current assets(which can be easily converted into cash in a period less than 1 year) and fixed assets & investments(which cannot be converted into cash in a period less than 1 year). If patents are recorded as fixed or long term asset there is nothing wrong as it is not easily converted into cash and will be used for a longer period.
    If the classification is done on a detailed basis then some accountants record this as fictitious asset (which is not a real asset) and some record it as intangible asset (one which is not tangible).
    Patents are recorded at cost price at which they are acquired and periodically patents are amortized. Patents are not valued assets like goodwill.
    mazharrafique Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 12:48 PM
    100% Guarranty that Patents are fixed assets those are to be paid after accounting period

Mazhar Hussain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Total current assets [ 5 Answers ]

How do you compute 1. Current assets. 2. Long-term assets. 3. Current liabilities. 4. Long-term liabilities. 5. Stockholders' equity. In my balance shee I have four entries. Land, Cash, Building, Accounts payable, Notes Payable (short terms) and equipment, capital stock, retained...

What are current assets [ 1 Answers ]

Are Sales considered Current Asset?:confused:

ACCOUNTING(ROA) return of non-current assets [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me clear my confusion My question is, I return a damaged furniture worth of 680 which I originally bought for 2680. What account will be credited and what account will be debited?

Puzzled on Getting current assets [ 2 Answers ]

Problem: Total assets = 11,700 Net working capital = 1400 Owners Equity = 5000 Long Term Debt = 3500 How do I get Current Assets out of the above?

View more questions Search