Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2003, 10:53 AM
    Hard drive Capacity
    ??
    I have Microsoft Windows XP operating system. I have a 40GB hard drive that shows only about 7GB capacity. How do I fix this problem without losing my data. I don't have a zip drive to backup everything. Please Help!
    Munchkin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2003, 09:35 PM
    Re: Hard drive Capacity
    Is this a new computer?
    Did you install a new hard drive or did it come this way?

Do you have more than one hard drive showing under My Computer? If so, you then have space on these partitions of your hard drive, so the space is still actually available, but perhaps as Drive D for instance.

Try booting from a boot disk and run FDISK. I believe option 4 lists your drives, partitions, etc.

Check to see if perhaps your hard drive has been partitioned. If so, it will list the drive letters for the various partitions. It should also indicate the size of the partitions. This would at least answer the question of whether there is truly a problem with the hard drive or whether it has just been partitioned.
    reza Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2003, 03:46 AM
    Re: Hard drive Capacity
    Check Disk Management to see if there are unpartitioned places on your harddisk
    8)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch capacity [ 8 Answers ]

I recently installed 5 recessed lighting fixtures on the same circuit and all these lights turned off at one time after a few minutes. They did not trip the circuit breaker. I then turned the light switch off for a few minutes and then the lights could be turned on for a few minutes. The light...

Hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

How do I transfer all the information from c drive to d drive?

Need abc help to format hard drive [ 15 Answers ]

My PC will not start windows. I have had my PC checked and the verdict is format the hard drive. My ops is windows xp Any advice to get me started would be appreciated

Hard drive Capacity [ 3 Answers ]

?? I have Microsoft Windows XP operating system. I have a 40GB hard drive that shows only about 7GB capacity. How do I fix this problem without losing my data. I don't have a zip drive to backup everything. Please Help!?

View more questions Search