Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judasbear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Analogue / digital
    Explain digital and analogue control signals and their applications
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2007, 12:25 PM
    In simple terms, analogue is driven by a mechanical means such as a cable and springs where as digital is electronic. A pressure gauge with an arm is analogue due to the movement of the arm by pressure pushing against a spring. A pressure gauge with an l.e.d is digital because pressure is pushing against a plate that generates a signal (electric current) then displayed on the L.E.D.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
    also when they said input/output digital it mean on/off, analog it is variable
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Whether the conrol is mechnical or electrical has nothing to do with it. Anything that has a continuous output and can therefore take on any value within the operating range is considered to be analog - so for example the volume control on an old stereo is an analog control, even though it's electronic, in that theoretically you can set the volume for any level between 0 and its max. A digital signal is one which can only take on discrete values - perhaps just "on" and "off" (a light switch is a simple digital control device), or perhaps with a wide variety of discrete levels , such as on a modern stereo with a volume control that you can click between, say, 0 and 100. While there are a lot of choices in settings, you can't set the volume to, say 3.14159, as that is not one of the discrete settings allowed.

The discrete values that a digital device work with has the aqdvantage of simplifying signal processing and display, and helps eliminate noise in systems since noise level is below the threshold of an allowable digital signal and can therefore be ignored by the processor.
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2007, 05:41 PM
    It appears we are both correct. In the example I provided the example of an analogue gauge that "Analog pressure gauges are mechanical devices" and digital guages are "Digital pressure gauges use electronic components to convert applied pressure into usable signals" qouted from Digital Gauge On GlobalSpec. Sometimes there are more than one correct answer. In reality all three posts are correct.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Not to split hairs, but your original post said "analogue is driven by a mechanical means such as a cable and springs where as digital is electronic. " That is not correct. Yes, the example you gave is no doubt analog, ands it happens to be mechanical. That does not mean that therefore all analog devices are mechanical nor that all electronic devices are digital. Digital control only became possible after the advent of low-cost integrated circuits, in the 1960s. With very few exceptions any electronic design that predates the IC was analog (yes, there were exceptions, such as early computers like ENIAC that ran on vacuum tubes, but these were clearly not the norm).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital Signature? [ 2 Answers ]

OK I cannot figure out how to bypass this.. I am trying to download software from the tmobile website for my blackberry and my computer won't let me because it says that its an unknown publisher.:mad: How do I disable or bypass this? PLEASE HELP!:eek: No it doesn't it says.. INTERNET...

Digital Camera Not Seen [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me why one computer has no problems downloading pics from a Kodak Digital EasyShare CX6330 camera, but another one will not see the camera. Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0, and Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, they both tell me that there is no camera, Roxio Capture...

Digital Abstracts [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to package your artwork if you want to get your first exhibit?

Digital camera [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a goodmans g-shot 3003cc for xmas Have installed the drivers cd, there's a bit on iy which I ticked says "decode all supported fourccs(divx,dx50,mp4v) Have ticked this, when I plug the camera in , instructions say to open folder to veiw files using windows explorer , but this cannot...

View more questions Search