Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lincolns Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Do I need to go to church?
    I want to get my children baptised does this mean I need to go to church every week?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
    What church or denomination do you want to go to or belong too?
    lincolns Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    What church or denomination do you want to go to or belong too?
    The church I want to get my children baptised at is a church of england I want to know if I get them baptised does it mean I need to sign myself up to the church forever?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 9, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Sorry but never heard of church of england before? Each church and denomination is different.

In my own opinion you need to be considered a committed member of the specific church to get your child baptised. The only way to know for sure is to contact that specific church and set up a meeting with a pastor or father and they will be able to direct you better.

Joe
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 10, 2007, 06:23 AM
    lincolns, I recently got baptised.
    Baptism is a very important decision, its is symbolic of you devoting yourself to christ, and accepting him as your personal lord and saviour.
    You should not make your children get baptised, it should be their own conscious decision, when they want to, if they want to, just like what religion they go for should be their own conscious decision. What's the point of baptism, unless the baptisee chose that that's what they want to do, unless the baptisee has personally chosen to follow god?
    My parents didn't even know I was getting baptised until after I did it, I made my own choice, to make my life be entirely for god, to follow his word and do his work, for the rest of my life. It is a great thing to do, because as you get immersed in the water(not all churches do this way, some churches do a sprinkle on your head when your like a baby, but wth? What's the point, the baby can't make a conscious choice to follow god) and come back up again, its like your leaving the old you behind in the water, and coming up again as one of gods people. Good luck, I hope you and your family find god and fullfillment in his word.
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

May 10, 2007, 06:57 AM
    I don't understand why you would want your children baptised if you are not practicing your religion. To me baptism is a step among many to return to our Heavenly Father. Your children need to be taught about your beliefs as well, which in my mind means going to church.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 10, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey5765
    Your children need to be taught about your beliefs as well, which in my mind means going to church.
    Remember, they are YOUR beliefs, your children should only get baptised if that fits with THEIR beliefs.
    yathink103 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lincolns
    i want to get my children baptised does this mean i need to go to church every week?
    What religion are you planning to baptised in? If you are catholic then it is done very early in age, children have no say so. My beliefs are that children should make there own decisions when it comes to being baptized. Children learn by example and if you wish your children to get the most out of christianity you too must go to church. However do not force them to be baptized, it is a personal decision that each person must make for themselves. No one can force a person to accept Jesus Christ, the spirit must move a person and they must truly want Jesus in their lives.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Sorry but never heard of church of england before? Each church and denomination is different.

Joe
    I think you'll find the Church Of England is another name for Anglican.

Anglican Communion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Church of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm a little surprised Joe, with you being a from an English Colony in Canada that you had never heard of this. Anglican / Church of England is very prominent down under here!
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
    i want to get my children baptised does this mean i need to go to church every week?
    What is your reason for wanting them baptised. What will it mean to THEM? What will it mean for YOU? I was baptised in a Baptist church when I was around seven. It wasn't my choice. My mother, a life long christian just thought she would take care of me and my older sister in one shot. Like getting our "ticket" to heaven. Getting it "out of the way"It did not mean a thing to me and I now resent going through something like that just "because". What is the point. God doesn't care about your little symbolic gesture. He cares about what is in your heart. I don't get the point really.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Jun 7, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Why would you want to baptize your children in a church if you don't practice your religion in that church? What are your real motives? Are you just a poser? Or do you seriously believe in God but are just failing in your practice?

Believe me, I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just trying to get you to open your eyes to understand your real motives. WHY??
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 09:56 AM
    The problem with many churches is that they set their own dogmatic rules, which are not in the Bible. It are their own rules.
    From your question I understand that you believe in God, but that you don't want to be associated with any specific church in particular.
    So most standard Christian churches will reject your request, due to their dogmatic views and rules.
    The reality of life is that in essence there are many people like you, who either call themselves also Christians, or those who go further and believe in God only (these people are called deists).
    Both of these more enlightened groups have churches that are free of all these dogmatic rules, and are prepared to baptize children in the name of God - without any other ties attached.

May be the Church of England (of which there are two) has some enlightened pastors. Just go there and explain your need and your personal views. He/she may be willing to help you, if he/she is a real Christian.

Remember : Jesus never asked people to go to any specific church. He asked people to believe in him and follow him.
    And note that you do not have to specify at all here why you want what you asked in your question. That is up to you, your children, and the God you believe in.

;)
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
    The beginning of wisdom is Loving God. Because your heart holds love for God, then I would say teaching your children about God does play an important part in your responsibility as a parent. Whether you go a church or whether you example their life to the behavior habits of faith through your own encounter of religion is really up to your heart of love for God.
    Feeling you must have your children baptized is in my opinion not your decision. However I know many churches teach man made traditions of being bapitzed. If you read scripture, Jesus went of His own accord to be baptized at age thirty. The scriptures tell us that when you can acknowlegde your belief in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, then you are baptize in the Holy Spirit.
    So teach your children, and allow them their free will to be baptized.

May God trim the wick of your light, so the path becomes His Bright Light showing the way.

~In Christ
    andy305mia Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
    NO. It is not your choice to get them baptised it's there choice. They got to no the reason why there getting baptised. Its to show your obidience towards god. And its not a joke 2 get baptized. And going to church doesn't take you to heaven. And if there ready to get baptized and your kids tell you they want get baptized you go to a church and ask 4 your kids 2 get baptized. But they have to be obidient to the lord after they gey baptized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being bonded in Church. [ 1 Answers ]

What does being bonded in church mean? Personnel in church who have to be bonded to work with the money when counting money.

Thoughts about his Church [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what your thoughts are about the LDS Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) Also know as the Mormom Church.

Non church wedding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm writing because my boyfriend and I want to get married. We really want the big church wedding and invite everyone, the thing is that can take over a year to plan. My boyfrien is 39 and wants a couple more kids. He really doesn't want to wait anymore. We already have one child. Here's my...

View more questions Search