Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anitac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Dating while dealing with mental health issues?
    I am currently a 3rd year student in college and so is my "boyfriend". We started dating a year ago but broke up abuot 6 months ago, because we were having problems. Although we both agreed that we needed to take a break and be single for a while, that never happened. We've continued to be friends with benefits for the past 6 months. Recently though, I've been extremely stressed out and might possibly be depressed due to school pressures and other things. Because of that, I have been generally unhappy and I feel like I'm weighin my friends/boyfriend down with my problems. A lot of times when I'm unhappy, I tend to get unhappy about our relationship and I cry a lot due to my general anxiety. Would it be smarter to see a psychiatrist and fix myself before officially dating my guy, or should I continue being friends with benefits while trying to become a happier person. I don't want my mental health to cause problems in the relationship yet I feel like I need someone by my side as I deal with this. My only other CLOSE friend is about 200 miles away, although I can always call him... sometimes, you just need a hug.
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Honey, I would take time to worry about yourself. If you are feeling emotionally stressed, you don't need to worry about him.
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I think you need to focus more on the things that make you happy. Everyone gets stressed out over many different reasons, but should know when to turn it off at any given point. If being with your significant other is supposed to make you happy, then you have to allow it to be so. If it adds more stress to your current state, then you need to drop it.

The other solution I can recommend is completing your tasks one at a time and talking to your significant other about helping you along the way. This is the bond that makes relationships stronger I believe. Commit yourself to things whether it be getting back together, going on a mini vacation, finishing your homework early, reading a book or whatever it may be. The more you can accomplish, the better you will feel and you will see different results in behavior and emotion on your part. I'd give you a hug if I could.

Hope this helps!
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

May 9, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I would recommend that you use your university counseling center as a resource to deal with your psychological issues. If you have good insurance get ahold of local psychologists, and remember that you are paying them for a service so if you do not like the 1st counselor try another. A psychiatrist usually handles severe mental health issues such as schizophrenia, etc... counseling is a good step twords becoming more mentally stable.
    Toadstoolpunish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 02:58 PM
    I think you should talk to a therapist or somekind of consoler that could help you view the situation from different perspectives and it will feel comforting and take some weight off your shoulders to share this problem with a total stranger who wants to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental health (dreams) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend has a problem with dreams. I want to help him. For now all I need to know is what exactly dreaming with water or floating on waters means? This is a constant dream, actually a nightmare. He has also dream with fire, him burning in fire. And other times, him floating on air. ...

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

What causes teenage depression?

Can mental health ru in family [ 6 Answers ]

My Ex keeps breaking up with me 6 times in 4.5 years and last 2-3 months. Her mom has mental problems and takes medication. When she is off medication she is wacko, thinks people are after her etc. My question is what % rate would it be that her daughter my ex would start to get symptoms of mental...

I need serious mental health [ 10 Answers ]

Before I get started I just want to say I'm not a pervert or sick in the head, I'm 20 and I'm starting to have feelings for a 13 year old, I'm just wondering how much pychiatric help I need because this shouln't be happening because it is very wrong Thanks

Mental and Emotional Health [ 3 Answers ]

We have just found out that my sister is suffering from this problem. She is 43 years old and a divorcée. This is causing a lot of emotional and mental problem at home. We have to be alert all the time. Our family members have stopped visiting us as they are scared she would steal their stuff...

View more questions Search