Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkeator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeator
    I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state
    First, its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's thread, so I'm requesting your question be moved to its own thread.

I do NOT recommend that you do this. You should roll over your 401K distribution into an IRA or, better yet, into your new company's plan. You will pay a minimum 10% penalty on the distribution, plus the amount will be added to your taxable income for the year, increasing your tax liability.

If you can rollover the amount into your new company plan (you have 60 days to do so), you may then be able to take a loan against the funds to pay off your debts. The interest on that loan goes back to your account, so you are just paying yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdraw penalties [ 16 Answers ]

I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?

Methadone withdraw [ 2 Answers ]

My friend was detoxing from herion with 30 mg of methadone. He stopped taking METHADONE WITHOUT A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION, and is now experiencing withdraws such as sweating. Should he continue taking 30MG, or lower the doseage?

Addiction withdraw [ 4 Answers ]

Iam 35 and I am 1 year clean from crack... but recently someone turned me on to crystal meth.I have been snorting it everyday for about a month.How do I get off it and will the with draw be bad?

401k Early withdraw hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take 17k for a hardship withdraw on my 401k. Will I have to pay federal taxes on this?

Procedure to withdraw 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US. I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year. What is the procedure to withdraw the money ? There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the...

View more questions Search