Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Ocean Otters
    Ocean/sea otters have invaded a home that I caretake. Does anyone know how to get rid of them, soon... they have the most obnoxious odor, how do you get rid of that?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 04:16 PM
    These are precious animals, you should not be trying to get rid of them!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 04:18 PM
    They may be federally protected - you need to check with Fish & Wildlife and find out from them, how to relocate them. You cannot just terminate them.

May 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
    These animals are not protected in B.C. Yes, they are cute, but NOT when they live under your house. The odor is worse than skunk & penetrates even the wood structure. My question was how to get rid of them? NOT exterminate them! Does anyone know if the "sonic" devices deter them/what deters them? Thank you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Yes, the odor is highly offensive and the noise they make can be irritating. I still think you need to call an outside resource for this. How long have you been in this house? Was this house built on one of their breeding/home grounds?

There must be some agency you can call to help you relocate them. I know there have been several attempts in other places to trap and relocate otters but not with much success.

Good luck in finding these otters a new home. Outside of live trapping them and moving them yourself, you need help with your problem.

May 22, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Thank you,shygrneyzs, as stated it is a home I caretake. The home has been there 32 yrs.As I live on a small island with no resources, like you state, I have a live trap & will move them myself. Now, the odor... and suggestions to eliminate other than tomato juice?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if no ocean? [ 1 Answers ]

How might Earth be different if an ocean had not formed on its surface?

River otters [ 1 Answers ]

For my 9 year old who is writing a paper for school, do river otters hibernate? How do they survive winters?

Love over an ocean. Literally. [ 4 Answers ]

I just discovered this site and after reading some questions on relationships I jumped to register. I've been stuck in this situation for months and it's haunting me. I've spoken with a couple close friends, but there seems to be no solution. I don't know what to do. Love is the most amazing thing...

Ocean waves forming and demo [ 1 Answers ]

How do ocean waves form and what are some demonstrations that I can do at home for a school project on waves?

Travel to ocean city, MD? [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help here... I am currently in South-west PA and I need to make a trip to ocean city, MD around mid-summer. I wanted to take Amtrak as I usually do. What's the closest station to OC that I should look for? Or does anyone know about any other alternatives other than using a...

View more questions Search