Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nero Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2005, 05:17 PM
    3 installs XP Pro - cant wipe clean - HELP
    I have an old P4 machine that ran Windows 2000.

I upgraded this to Windows XP but due to some junk on the PC it ran badly. So it was decided to re-install and try wipe the HDD clean. However this did not happen and another separate install of Windows XP occurred.

I trawled through some help on the net and they suggested to again re-instal and then delete the partitions. I tried this again but I was not able to delete any partitions on the HDD.

This now leaves my machine with 3 Windows XP Pro installs.

All I want to do is to wipe the whole machine clean. Pleeeeease help :confused:

Please note that I have also tried formatting the HDD through the computer manager tools (Disk manager), however this did not help either.

Any ideas??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2005, 05:59 PM
    You need your trusty Windows 98 boot diskette that has the Format command on it. Boot from the floppy and format from there.

Apr 15, 2005, 02:28 AM
    Is there no other way?

I don't have a windows 98 disk
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2005, 04:59 AM
    Try...
    Quote Originally Posted by nero
    is there no other way?

I dont have a windows 98 disk
    ... a disk formatting utility from the disk manufacturer. They operate in DOS at boot and have all you need to get the disk squeaky clean! Try http://www.ontrack.com/ if you cannot determine the drive make model number. If you don't want to pay for it, do a search for shareware.

Apr 15, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Thanks - I will give it a try tonight
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2005, 10:07 AM
    Yo can make your own win 98 boot disk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Apr 15, 2005, 11:19 AM
    Use the fdisk option from the bootfloopy to create new partitions, if u have a bootable version of windows xp then it will automatically format the hardisk and clean install the operatng system.
    Cheers
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2005, 12:52 PM
    I would go to bootdisk.com and make a Win 98 floppy with FDISK on it. Then boot to the floppy and run FDISK to delete all your partitions.

Then boot to your XP CD and install.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 15, 2005, 04:05 PM
    The XP install disc give you an option to format the drive as part of the installation process. Try using this rather than mucking about with boot disc's
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Apr 16, 2005, 11:12 AM
    If you have a large hard disk drive then its better to make partitions because after sometime if you face some problem with your operating system due to some adwares/spyware or your system perform slow so just format the partition on which you install the win xp and clean install it again , take your important file in the other partition so at one time you save your data on the other you clean install the win xp

Simple isn't it
    Cheers
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2005, 08:20 AM
    Xp
    Hi,
    Here is a link that might be of help to you, explaining how to install XP, step by step; also has some other good information about your particular situation:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...2october07.asp

Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer clean out [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought an old stone farm house. The contractor and previous owner recently abondanded the septic field and connected the house waste to the city sewer system. He did this after we bought the property. I observed that the sewer clean out junction was not a "t" connection but a "u" shaped...

How to Clean Vents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into a 45 year old home last summer. It has gas heat and central A/C. I doubt the vents have ever been cleaned. Is there a method to cleaning vents that can be done by the homeowner or does it need to be cleaned by a professional?

Mild Cramping and spotting when I wipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 weeks and 5days pregnant and I have been spotting for about a week. I have had mild cramping but nothing major and the spotting is only when I go to the bathroom and wipe. It is mostly light brown to light pink. I have had some red but it was very little. I have not had clots or heavy...

Wipe XP and Install 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a new Dell that came with XP. I'd like to install 2000 instead. What is the best way to completely remove XP and install 2000?

View more questions Search