Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellavida Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Refund What are the rights of a consumer?
    I tried to refund an item at Home Depot without a receipt.
    They said that they did not take it because they have it in their policy that they can refuse or limit anything.
    When I asked them for a protocol stating that the specific item/company brand could not be refund, they could not give it to me.
    I asked to see the manager, but she did not see me.
    Don't company operate by a protocol?
    I was not told with my purchase that they would need a receipt.
    It only says in the receipt an umbrella statement tthat they can refuse anything.

Husky power washer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Most places refuse refunds without a receipt since normally they can't prove you bought it there, maybe stole it? ( OK not you but the other guy) you can't take things back at almost any store without a receipt any longer, basically store policys. Also if you bought it at Lowe's and tried to return it at home depo, but mostly because of all of the thefts.

Normally they will exchange a item that is not working without a receipt but many stores will not loger do that.
    I am sorry but they can't give you a ten page list of rules at the time of purchase, so a statement that they can refuse anything is fairly standard,
    And to be honest I would assume most people would know they needed a receipt, now you do.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I have taken items back to HD without a receipt and received an in store card with the value added. No problems. Haven't done this in the last 6 mo, but I did it several times last year when I had multiple projects going and didn't always have the receipts handy.

it might just be your local HD is managed differently. Is there another HD nearby? Might want to check it out.

also... is the item being sold at HD right now? Not an old or discontinued item that they are no longer carrying?

and I agree with fr chuck... its pretty rare these days to get a refund without a receipt. Just don't expect it. I know walmart still does, but not many others. HD and Lowe's were among the few others I've seen do this.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I would have never left the store without seeing the manager, but I guess that's just me. It's hard to return anything these days even if you do have a receipt without giving the store 3 id's fingerprints and a sperm sample...
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
    I've returned items to Home Depot without a receipt and was given a gift cards for a store credit. You didn't say what you were returning so I guess maybe the answer lies there.

There was this one time though, I was returning a pair of work gloves that I didn't use or need after all but they wouldn't take them back. They scanned the tag and said it wasn't in their inventory so therefore I couldn't get a store credit. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. When I got home, I located the receipt so I could take them back and discovered I'd bought them somewhere else. Ooops!
    olivejoshme Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavida
    I tried to refund an item at Home Depot without a receipt.
    They said that they did not take it because they have it in their policy that they can refuse or limit anything.
    When I asked them for a protocol stating that the specific item/company brand could not be refund, they could not give it to me.
    I asked to see the manager, but she did not see me.
    Don't company operate by a protocol?
    I was not told with my purchase that they would need a receipt.
    It only says in the receipt an umbrella statement tthat they can refuse anything.

Husky power washer.
    I myself work at the customer service desk at a department store. Our store has a 90 day return policy with receipt. Without a receipt we only return/exchange some items - not all - because without a receipt we do not know how long you have had the product. We do have it posted at the service desk - along with some other return policies. Some items are limited to 15, 30, and 45 days. Many customers get mad because our return policy is NOT on our receipt. Generally it is a rule of thumb that you keep a receipt for ANYTHING you buy that you think you may not need due this reason, and also - if an item you buy has gone down in price since you bought it, you will not get a full refund. Only the amount the computer rings up. Also, some items that go past the return date can be serviced or replaced through the manufacturer.

Please do try and understand that the people that work at the service desk DO have to draw the line somewhere. We do not want to discredit you, or accuse you of anything but there are many dishonest people out there who cannot provide proof of purchase (because it is stolen) or do not bring the receipt because it is out of our 90 days and they still want their refund. Some items people bring back are things we have not carried in stock for a year or more and are no longer in our system, or they are items that are from different retailers, but also carried by our company.

One thing I try to recommend to customers that have a high dollar item that they no longer want that is out of our 90 days is to put it on eBay or in the classifieds. You would be surprised as to how many people would be interested in the item you have at a slightly marked down price.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Sep 7, 2007, 09:02 AM
    You do not say if the item was used or not. I work at a store where we have a 90 day policy and no returns on used products. Sadly we have to because of fraud. If the item was unused and unopened I am sure you could get a credit for current price. I have had customers try to return products from over three years prior.
    veronica459 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Most chain stores are limiting the dollar amount per item that can be returned or exchanged without a receipt, Targets is now $25. I know Lowe's can look up the transaction information by your phone number if it was a cash sale and you provided your phone number, or through the credit card that it was purchased with, I would see if Home Depot has the same system in place. If no I think the best thing for you would be to place your item up for sale either through EBAY or Craigslist.
    GOOD LUCK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consumer counseling [ 2 Answers ]

We have been with a consumer counseling agency for the last two months, which they have been making payments to our creditors. We have one creditor Sears, which has been handed over to a collection agency. The collection agency has been calling our home and telling us they do not work with...

Consumer transactions [ 1 Answers ]

What is a consumer transaction in hospitality law and what are the steps and proceedures of a consumer transaction?

Consumer Fraud.. Please Help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys and gals.. Here's my problem.. I sent my laptop in for repair two weeks ago. The problem I was having was that the power cord would not stay plugged in to the back. The plug-in hole had gotten wallowed out over the past two years. Well, after inspection, they told me they were...

Consumer Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a new bankruptcy procedure in Chapter 7 matters due to debts that involve credit card obligations?

View more questions Search