Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtorrens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
    For High Dynamic Range photography: D80 or D200?
    I am looking to do High Dynamic Range photography and am aware of the specs of the 2 camera models among which I am considering for purchase:
    The Nikon D80 does 2 to 3 exposures in 1/3 to 2 EV increments.
    The Nikon D200 does 2 to 9 exposures in 1, 2, or 3 EV increments

This having been said, my questions is, is there a notable difference between a photograph done from the addition of 2-3 exposures versus done with 2-9 - Isn't the latter one overkill?
    What about using 1/3 of an increment, is it perceptible enough to create a significant difference in the end photo?

Thanks & regards.
    slackadelic Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 07:32 AM

Hey there, yes there is a difference. HDR images are images that cram a LOT of dynamic range into a photograph. A typical outdoor scene as perceived by the eye is about 10+ photographic stops from shadow detail to highlight detail. You will not be able to contain all this information within a few stops. That said, the camera choice is not relevant. The camera that does 9 exposures will give you a wider range at the click of a button, but one can create a HDR image by using a tripod and taking the series by hand (take a photo, adjust the shutter speed, repeat until you've covered the range (metered from shadows to highlights)) A good place to read up on HDR images (and see some stellar examples) is at the Munsell Color Science Laboratory's website located here: HDR Images & Appearance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dynamic IP [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all the Experts,

Nikon d200 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I am now in the point in wich I have to get a more professional Camera. I'm thinking of the nikon d 200. Does anyone know just how professional It is?

Dynamic jsp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi:) I am doing a project where I have set up a website. I have added info into mysql. How do I dynamically get info. I have set up a clothes website, and if the customer uses drop down menus and selects "skirts" and "black" for example, how do I dynamically add the "skirts" and "black"...

Question about dynamic ip [ 11 Answers ]

I am wondering if there is a free program out there that I can use that will make my system act as if it has a static ip. I don't to host a site for the public it will be a site that I can go to get things for myself. I am thinking of having a ftp server so that I can access it from my friends...

View more questions Search