Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maureen_t_willett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Questions about Raccoon Vaccines!
    I recently adopted two baby raccoons. They are doing great and growing like crazy. I've now come to the problem of what wormers and vaccines to give my coons, how old should they be, when to give them and how often, and what would be the proper dosage, etc? Any advise would be most welcome!
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2007, 09:19 PM
    You're really going to have to ask a vet for this. Wormers have to be administered pretty carefully sometimes, because they are just dilute toxins. And they'll probably give you the same answer that I'm going to give you on the vaccinations: Rabies vaccines have not been proved to be effective on wild animals.

Are you taking them to the vet at all? Rabies vaccines can only be administered by a vet, so you're going to need to bring them in sooner or later. =) Your pet vet may even be able to recommend you to a wildlife vet.

Good luck with your babies!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
    I'm also curious about whether it is even legal in your area to keep raccoons as pets. It's not in a lot of areas.

But, assuming that it is, there are websites out there about the challenges and rewards of keeping pet raccoons, including health care. This one is from someone who has a pet raccoon: REMO RACCOON'S HOME PAGE

Be aware that even the people who have pet raccoons say that they will bite, and that you should expect to be bitten at some point. And that if it bites a visitor, the law may not recognize the rabies vaccination. They also say that adult coons are solitary animals, so I'm not sure what's going to happen as your two get older.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Raccoon Troubles [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, One of my hay-loft cats just had kittens yesterday. I was in the loft last night and noticed two very large raccoons. Do Raccoons eat kittens? I don't want my new babies hurt, but the mom has them so well hidden I can't find them! The may be in the insulation, but I'm not sure!

Vaccines and medication [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I have been reading a book called "Natural cures they dont want you to know about" By Kevin Trudeau. He talks about how bad perception and non prescription medicine is for you, And how the Dr's just prescribe medicine because the drug companies give them incentives. Just myself I went...

Dog vaccines, Are they necessary? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Bichon Frise. She has environmental allergies, and had a severe anaphalactic reaction to her distemper shot. She never goes out due to her allergies and she is never kenneled or is around other animals. Is it wise to avoid her shots altogether?

Vaccines for newborn beagles [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering what age to vaccinate newborn beagle pups? Some say at 2 weeks and some say at 6 weeks. Also, what age to worm pups and which worms do we need to worm for? Thank you

View more questions Search