Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auntbea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Ramifications of buying used items
    If I buy a planer worth 3,000 and it doesn't work, what are my opitons. I don't have a receipt stating a guarantee. What are the laws in northern Michigan on buying used items?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
    How long ago did you buy it and what does the guarantee say exactly?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Most used items are considered "as is" unless there is additional documentation stating a warranty. Buyer beware is the unfortunate rule. You can still approach the seller and ask them to make it right but they have no legal responsibility to make you whole.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
    You have the right not to buy something unless you get a written receipt.
    Next you have the right not to buy something without a written guarantttee. But basically if you buy something used it is bought "as is" and if it does not work you are most likely just out of the money you spent.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Ohhhh, I mis-read I thought you said there was a receipt with a guarantee.

My mistake, as stated above used items are generally accepted as being sold as is, check on the repair costs and maybe, very unlikely, the seller would pay a small part if he advertised it as working. But basically there is no legal reason he has to pay for repairs or take the item back. Sorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inventory Items [ 1 Answers ]

I have a client who is using Quickbooks 2006. They want to use the item setup for inventory items. Is there a way to be able to transfer items to job costing as needed, without invoicing?

Levy items in New Jersey [ 3 Answers ]

Hope you can help, I have a judgement against an individual , he owns two businesses and many motor vehicles and maybe even stocks . What can I levy , can it only be personal ? Can I only use a sheriff or a constable ? They ask me for a list of things to do , I...

Menu Items [ 1 Answers ]

How to Enable / disable Menu Items For Windows Programming If Program is to be written in Visual C++

Runescape items [ 25 Answers ]

Could someone tell me how much a mind talisman is worth? I a newbie and completely clueless... :confused: :D

Items missing from Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

Windows XP home edition with SP2 installed. When I click on Help, nothing happens and the Search helper dialog box in Windows Explorer does not appear. Cannot print from IE window either. Also, cannot launch any Windows facilities from Explorer - when I double-click the exe file, nothing happens.

View more questions Search