Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Superior militarily but weak?
    If the Chinese were as militariily as advanced as the Discovery Channel portrays then why
    Were they so easily dominated by Europeans? Cannon? They had cannons before the Europeans had them. Ocean going ships? They had them. Add to this flamethrowers land mines, superior catapults, rockets, and one has to wonder why they seemingly sat back while Europe steamrolled over them using the very things that the Chinese had invented centuries before.

Weird!

BTW
    It certainly wasn't because they were inherently peaceloving.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
    It was mostly the same in, Africa, the middle east, India and other places. I personal think that it was because by the time of all the European, imperialism, the Europeans had been pretty much fighting each other off and on for thousands of years and had the "art of war" down. But it was actually probably the industrial revolution that gave them such a advantage. They simply were able to take anything make it better and then mass produce it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 09:58 AM
    You should read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. He presents an interesting argument as to how the accidents of geography and environment helped the Europeans dominate so many other cultures. His thesis regarding China is a bit of a stretch in my opinion - basically he thinks that China is so large and homogenous, and has had so few outside invaders over the millennia that they were not forced to develop and improve new weapons or war strategies. Hence while they had gun powder and rockets. They were used mainly for celebrations, not war. He also maintains that Chinese culture and economy was much more controlled from a central government, which probably stifled innovation compared to the more free-wheeleing western world. It is an excellent book - I highly recommned it, as well as the follow-up book he wrote called "Collapse."

Here's the Wikipedia article on his book: Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 8, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Germs played a big part. In some places (like Africa) it was the Europeans who could not go into the jungle. But then as medical care got better, they did and European Germs killed millions.
    -

May 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    You should read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. He presents an interesting argument as to how the accidents of geography and environment helped the Europeans dominate so many other cultures. His thesis regarding China is a bit of a stretch in my opinion - basically he thinks that China is so large and homogenous, and has had so few outside invaders over the millenia that they were not forced to develop and improve new weapons or war strategies. Hence while they had gun powder and rockets. they were used mainly for celebrations, not war. He also maintains that Chinese culture and economy was much more controlled from a central government, which probably stifled innovation compared to the more free-wheeleing western world. It is an excellent book - I highly recommned it, as well as the follow-up book he wrote called "Collapse."

Here's the Wikipedia article on his book: Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the book recommendation I'll check it out later today since my computor isn't permitting me to surf to other sites at this moment.

Yes, I'm familiar with the
    Mass production and Industrial Revolution cause for European military superiority. It's actually the Chinese attitude toward weapons which they themselves invented that I can't understand. Actually, Chinese were using mass production before the Europeans were.

Also, according to the Discovery Channel's program on Chinese military prowess prior to the European emergence, the Chinese were always devising new ways for making warfare more deadly. A machine-gun-like crossbow. Catapults that could hurl projectiles a mile. Flame throwers, dragon shaped anti ship rockets--land-mines and cannons. All these innovative killing weapons against each other and against their enemies and the concepts behind them were at their disposal when the Europeans challenged.

BTW
    They were making and USING those weapons before the Europeans even had an inkling that such weapons could be made. So it's their reaction when confronted with these same weapons that puzzles me.
    -

May 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Germs played a big part. in some places (like Africa) it was the Europeans who could not go into the jungle. But then as medical care got better, they did and European Germs killed millions.
    Yes, I know.
    But germs were not a factor in China.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone work with Superior Debt Relief? [ 18 Answers ]

Let me know if anyone has ever worked with them!

Superior Debt Services [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I recently joined the above company to try and get my credit card debt under control. I owe abot 25K in credit card debt and can barely make the minimum payments. I have been a member since June and part of the program is to stop making payments and use these delinquent payments as...

Older toilets -- weak swirl, weak flush [ 24 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. Our toilets are original to the house, 20-plus years old. When flushed, the swirl isn't strong enough to completely flush the bowl. The bowl does NOT overflow, but it has to be flushed multiple times. We have very hard water where we live, despite having a regularly...

How do you save a very weak puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have a puppy that is 4 days old it has been on milk replacement powder for two days now we had a friend who had a dog producing milkwe put him on for 2 days but the dog could not handle the extra puppy and the puppy is now very weak what can I do to try and save it

Weak Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

The water in my kitchen faucet is very weak. The sprayer seems strong. Do I need to replace my faucet?

View more questions Search