Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creelgriffin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Copying and pasting Microsoft Word
    I have been applying for jobs online. I have my resume in Microsoft Word and have been unable to copy and paste like some applications call for. My product key has expired but all I have to do is click on cancel and the documents in my computer show on screen. I have used Microsoft Word help and have not been able to find any solutions. Some functions explained just do not show for me. Ie: for example it says to got to Tool menu and click on options. It shows no options on my tools menu. Anyway, any suggestions please. Thank you very much. [Smile]
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

May 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Something Ive done before (Because some online formatting does not allow you to 'paste') Ill minimize my word screen to half a screen, and do the same with whatever I want to paste into.
    Then Ill highlight my word text and drag it into the box. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Either way I feel all "HA THERE" when it works. Lol
    There's always more than one way to kill a bird
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 8, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Try using the shortcut keys to get to the options. Alt-T (opens the Tool menu). Alt-O (opens the Options menu).

Also, use Alt-A to select all, Alt-C to copy and Alt-V to paste.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
    It sounds like your copy of Office has been disabled.. for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

You can try a free office suite like OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org: Home
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Does the file tab work, like can you save your file?

If so save it as a txt file and open it in notepad

May 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Thank everyone so much for all of your inputs. I tried everything that everyone suggested. When I highlighted and tried to drag the 1/2 screen I was trying to drag to was in the way of the way of the x which highlighted the whole text. I could not get the 1/2 screen to move so I could highlight and then drag. I could highlight but then could not get screen I wanted to drag to, to be visible. Tried all of the Alt options and they opened up things just like when I clicked on them with my pointer but options desired were either not displayed in some cases as under file tab the save tab option was not lit up and would not function so I could not send the Word document to a text file. I would click on the save option [which was not emphesised dark like most are when they are functional] and nothing would happen. The functions that usually show on my right mouse are not darkened also, they show but do not function when I click on them. Are my documents in Microsoft Word locked? I downloaded this specific Microsoft Word document from another job application. I am sorry, that I am not more computer literate. I ,just like everyone else, do not need to know how to do everything on the computer, just some things. [Smile] Other suggestions perhaps? Perhaps I did not give good enough explanations of what I was doing and what was happening. I know there is a way, and with more help, I will find it. Thank you. Other input is welcome. Again, thank everyone so much for being so helpful and responding. God bless you.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Ok. With some commands greyed out, looks like your copy of Word, is no longer "licensed". You mentioned this also in your OP about your product key expiring.

Looks like you will need to purchase another licensing key, or try Open Office as NeedKarma suggested.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2007, 10:36 AM
    The only reason a product key for Office is deactivated is if you have a trial version. If that's the case, then the trial will let you in to review your documents, but little else.

So the answer is to get a different program or pay for activating Office.

May 9, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Thanks everyone. I don't really know what I need. I also don't really want to buy something that I only need occasionally. If I made a living on this computer or used it every day for business then I would have course have to get what I needed to compete. It seems to be just a financial things. Sometimes things are just tight. I do so much appreciate everyone's help. From what I can tell, what I have is Microsoft Office 2003 trial version, which came with my laptop. I was never able to activate the trial version before it expired and so really didn't even get to use it. I can go to it and open it up but can not even type on the Word program, but as I mentioned, I did download another Microsoft Word resume that I filled out online. I tried to download the Office program sent to me but my computer was running so slow that after about 20 minutes I had only downloaded 2% so I cancled. I live in a rural area and my local dial up connection is very slow [ 14,500 to 28,500 on a good day]. Perhaps I can afford faster service later through cable, satellite dish or wireless, high speed dial-up not available to me here. Once again, thank you, everyone, so much for your help. By the way, any suggestions for someone who has had to pretty well learn almost everything about the PC by just getting online and doing it. Only had computer since 2003. Do pretty good, but it seems like anytime I have a question, I don't know anyone who knows anything that they can tell me that helps me. [Smile] [Except for you kind people on here of course.] [Smile] God bless.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 02:23 AM
    You can order the CD and it will be mailed to you:
    distribution: CD-Rom Buyers' page (that page is a little confusing, let me know if you need any help)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Yes a trial version of Office comes with most PCs. Did your system also come with Microsoft Works? Many do. If so, you can use the word processor in Works (a version of Word) to do any word processing you need as well as to open DOC files.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lotus word to Microsoft word [ 2 Answers ]

My articles are saved in lotus word format. Can I opened it under Microsoft word or " open office" software? If yes, how do I go about it?

Help In Microsoft Word [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions. 1. How do you save a backup copy of a document? 2. How do you recover the text from a damaged document?

Microsoft word [ 1 Answers ]

Why can't I type in Microsoft Word? And when I could type how do I make It stop erasing the words in front of what I type?

Copying and pasting music files... [ 5 Answers ]

I ripped all of my music to my hard drive some time ago and windows media player put all of the music into folders by group\album'song name'.wma Now I'm trying to put all of my songs into folders according to my idea of genre. So I cut all of the tracks from all of the folders and oasted them...

Microsoft Word [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have to do a essay and I am going to be doing it in Word XP. However, I have to have double spacing after each word. I don't really want to be pressing the spacebar twice after every word I type. Is there a way that I can confgure Word XP to automatically do two spaces when I press the...

View more questions Search