Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armyfiance2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Courthouse marriages to a soldier
    OK my name is nicole I am 17 years old. My fiancé is being deployed in the end of August to go to iraq. He is in major debt so we decided before he leaves we were going to get married in a courthouse and have a small wedding with just family and when he gets back after a year and a half we are going to have "the wedding" so we could save up money. The problem is that I don't know anything about getting married in a courthouse. Do you have to have a marriage license before you make an appointment there? I have a very limited amount of time to get all this straight so all the info you may know would be great or if you have any links to info about this(I live in st.louis, missouri) would be very helpful because I'm struggling a lot trying g to find anything. :confused: thanks a lot and I appreciate it!

~Nicole
    MissMod2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

May 8, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Well here in Ohio you have to get the marriage license before you actually set the appointment. At the time that you pay for the license is when you can get the appointment made as long as it is within the 30 day grace period to get the license signed without having to pay for another one. Best to ask the people at the courthouse though, for it may be different where you are.
    wiggitywackiraq Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

May 27, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Well, I am a soldier and I did it. Here's how it works:
    Your man is in the military and they make exceptions for soldiers that allow them to apply for and get married in the same day. Preapproved as we would say. You go into the courthouse with the witnesses, and you pay the judge the court fee, and a copy fee for your copy of the license (which you will need for military ID, drivers license, and power of attorney) and then he marries you right there. I was literally in there and out on my lunch break. I called ahaed so they were ready for me, but still, it was quick. Now, keep in mind I live in Texas, and we are crazier out here, so the laws in MO maybe a little more stringent. I would also urge that you and your future hubby make sure that the $$$ he makes during his deployment makes up the debt he is in, because nothing brings strife on a marriage like money problems, and sex problems. Be faithful, be frugal, and good luck. Anymore questions let me know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
    First what state are you going to get married in, many states have mandatory blood tests which can take anything from 1/2 a day to 3 days to get back.

So you need to go get the marriage certificate. Normally if you are willing to wait around the day you get your license they will have a judge that will marry you either in chambers or between cases.

Also almost all court clerks where they have marriage licenses have lists of local pastors that will run down to the court house and do the service, or even come over to your home or his home that day and do the service, if you perfer to have a pastor do it. If a person is a Christian I have no idea why they would have a judge do it, when a pastor would be glad to do it at the courthouse.

So all you have to do is call down to the court house, or just drop in for a visit. And you will know in minutes your own states rules, and the specific requirements of your court clerk
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 08:13 AM
    FR. Chuck is right - each state will have their own requirements, so it is best to contact your clerk of court and ask for the requirements. If you do not have a lot of time, then you need to start on Tuesday, tomorrow being Memorial Day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my soldier cheating? [ 7 Answers ]

I am 37 years old and have been with my husband for 9 years and married for 8 years this month. He is in the Army and deployed to a combat zone. He has been gone for 8 months. For the entire time he has been gone he has been writing love letters to me and he writes to me about sexual fantasies...

Minor/Adult Marriages in California [ 25 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé Cathryn are having an issue trying to determine whether we are in any kind of legal position to be married. We are both the product of a broken home which is highly unfortunate and does not make the situation any easier however given the circummstances I do believe we are both...

New Marriages in the Family [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not really sure what subtopic this falls in under Family and it's actually a group of questions. When I was little, my aunt and uncle divorced. My uncle is my dad's brother. Is that aunt still an aunt? My uncle remarried a few years ago. Is his wife my aunt or my stepaunt? Is his...

Arranged marriages and visa's [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to ask on behalf of my brother, he had an arranged marriage in Pakistan, he had called his wife over to the UK but has never loved her or wanted to be with her, he was only with her for the sake of parents, but then he got locked up dor money laundering he got a 3 year sentence to...

Bi religious marriages. [ 8 Answers ]

I am a Christian guy from the UK working in Pakistan. I have met a Muslim girl and we have fallen in love and would like to get married. Is this possible in Pakistan?

View more questions Search