Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJK Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 06:03 AM
    How to build a set of steps?
    Hello, I'm looking for some information about building a set of steps for my deck. The deck is 16' wide and the steps will run the entire 16' width of the deck. I also want the steps to be extra wide. The drop to the ground is 4'. I've never built a set of steps before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 8, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Maybe this web site will help.

Designing Stairs and Laying Out Stair Stringers
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Hi, I was going to tell you all kinds of things about stair construction - and then I took a look at the above answer's link. I think the very first line of that site sums it up nicely:

Stair building is one of the most complex aspects of carpentry.

And, the size of what you have in mind is pretty challenging as well. You might be better off hiring a qualified carpenter and let that person know right up front that you want to learn from them and help to build these things.
    Best of luck!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Stairs, Ok Here We Go.
    Your Will First Need A Carpentrys Square It's a Must Have On This, A Skill Saw, A Jig Saw Or Pull Saw And Some Saw Bucks

First You Said Your Deck Is 4' Off The Ground. You Will Have 6.4 Steps.
    The Way I Figured This Is 7 To 8" Rise Is Code You Have To Be Somewhere In The Range For The Step Rise.

Now The Run Of Your Step Is Set At 10.5" This Will Give You A 1 Over Hang When You Put Your Decking Boards Over It

Lay The Square On Top Of Your 2 X 12 X 10 And It Must Be A 2 X 12 Nothing Smaller.
    Set The Square To 7 And A Half Inches On The Left And 10 And A Half On The Right It Will Kind of Look Like A Triangle. You Trace This 6 Times
    With The Bottom Step You Need To Cut It Back At The Same Angle This Will Make The Foot Cut Or Heel

The Top Cut Will Be Cut The Same Angel As The Riser Cut And Can Use Your Square To Extend Your First Make You Made To See Where To Cut This.

Now After All This You'll Need To Use The Skill Saw To Cut All This Out
    You'll Have To Make 3 Of These Unless You Want 48" Steps In Which You'll Need 4

Here's Another Idea, Go To Lowe's And You Can Buy These Already Pre Cut. Hope This Helps , Nichols Trim And Carpentry
    JJK Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Thanks, I should have mentioned that the step is going to be 3-boards wide or approximately 18'. Do you think that a 2X12 would be sufficient with this width stair?
    Thanks for your time. JJK
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Yes It Will, When You Lay It Out The Left Side Will Still Be 7 1/2 But The Right Side Will Be 14 1/2 That Should Give You A 1 Over Hang, Nichols Trim
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Use 4x material or join two 2x12's together to make the stringer, that way there will be plenty of support for the boards that will be the tread part of this stair system. And I've got to tell you, unless you're Really confident in your abilities, you have the potential for wasting a whole lot of lumber here (mistaken layout and cuts, etc.). NorCal has it right - work with someone who has done this before, and 'glavine' is trying to tell you to use a Framing Square to layout the riser/tread cuts on the stringer.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Believe it or not... you can buy ready-made stringers from companies like Home Depot or Lowe's (and some stores even have them in stock). You can have anything made to order to your specs if you contact a mill work company. Sometimes it can be cheaper than doing it yourself!
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2009, 06:25 PM

I think a deck four feet off the ground and you want these steps spanning the entire length of the existing deck, you should consider building platform stairs.. that is done with one large based box framed platform with pyrimid smaller platforms using 2x6 or 2x8 framing depending on thickness of decking material. Be it 5/4x6 or 2x6 etc.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 09:52 PM

Hey Jon

Think the steps are done by now.

Post is 2 yrs old.

Chuck

Jun 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hey Jon

Think the steps are done by now.

Post is 2 yrs old.

Chuck
    lol, cre.. my mistake.. hey though I have a deck staircase inquiry.. my local mill sells 2x10 bullnose treated 12 footers.. is 36 inch wide staircase okay? Also planning on cutting my own stringers.. I have a deck approx 8 ft off the landing so I figure 2x12x12' and for the rise I figure 7.5.. tread cut 8.5 will give me an inch overhang for the milled bullnose steps. I'm guessing I'll need at least 12' 2x12s for the stringer but will go with 14ers just to be sureof my layout. Was wondering about pricing it out... 140sq ft. plus a ten step staircase with poured slab and a couple of footings for an extended platform and 2x4 railings with 4x4 supports.. just figure what the going rate is here in nnj.. figure 20.00sq ft?.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 05:30 PM

Can't help u with pricing , out of business to long.

U might think of using closed stringers. Easier to make and good nailing for hand rail posts.

Glue and screws thread cleats.

Good luck

Chuck

Jun 17, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Can't help u with pricing , out of business to long.

U might think of using closed stringers. Easier to make and good nailing for hand rail posts.

Glue and screws thread cleats.

Good luck

Chuck
    Yes I reviewed those options with the customer.. I told him the cuts would be more work but I do not think his buget can fit the bill according to him.. I was clear and up front and I'm not doing decks /stringers steps handrails footings for less than 15 dollars a sq.ft. especially udder 200 sq ft. it's 8 ft off the ground! I have to replace the rotted flashing below the glider door too.. I can do this work with ease having the tools and experience but I'm not working for helper wages ty again cre for the suggestions
    KySunShine Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2010, 02:06 PM
    I contacted a carpenter to build me a small set of 4-5 step off to my dog pen his estimate was $90.00 do you think that was a reasonable price?
    KySunShine Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Comment on Kstar4u's post
    That's good but can you tell me if I can buy the stairs completely built?
    ryan.r1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Probably the best bet on how to do it is lay it out by drawing a mark starting at 1 end then mesuring 16'' from that mark and repeat the process all the way downand in between each stringer you will need a piece of pressure treated 2 by 4 in between each stringer and screw the 2 by 4's into the side of the deck and angle a screw and drive it in at each end. Then you take a 2 by 6 and cut it and the 2 by 6 is for your risers which is the front part of the steps then when done screwing them in you take and cut 2 more 2 by 6's and place them on the top of the stringers which these boards are your treads which is the part you actually walk on and you screw them in to the stringers you will need to drive about 4 screws into the tread screwing it into every stringer their should be a small gap between each board to allow room for expansion.And then after that you are through unless you are going to do railings and there is many different ways to build those based on which way you like the best. If built like this the steps should last a long time and all wood should be pressure treated and screws should be galvanized decking screws.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2011, 08:46 PM

Hi Ryan

This post was started in 2007. The work is long done by now.

Please check dates of post before answering post.Anything over a month old is usually a dead issue.

Nice to have u aboard.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steps to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting married in May. I have a daughter that I adopted from the foster care system as a single parent. My husband to be wants to adopt her. Does anyone know what are the steps to take? We would very much like it if he could adopt her the same day of the wedding if possible. We...

Shoot-set and Quick-set Combo [ 2 Answers ]

I have not seen this yet, but I haven't seen everything... lol I was thinking that these two misdirection sets could be used in a single play because the quick-set causes the opponent to position, dig-in, and focus on the quick-set hitter, but the ball could be shoot-set along the net for anyone...

View more questions Search