Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Sunblock for dogs
    Hi, my parents border collie Jack is having problems when out in the sun. He has pink bits on the bridge of his nose and these burn easily when he's out in the sun. We've tried applying children's sunblock to the area but he just licks it off.
    Ive been online and found that there is sunblock available in stick and cream form for pets. My question is has anyone tried this type of product out and what's stopping him licking it off again? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 05:35 AM
    That can be a problem. I haven't used the stuff. I guess they could make it bad tasting or extra water resistant. We will see if anyone really has any experience.

If you do try it, please let us know how it works.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Any sunblock that you use will eventually be licked off, just re apply and hope he gets used to it!
    NEVER use any type of zinc oxide product!! I know diaper rash cream is basically this and when you said Children's sunblock, it scared me! Check the label. Zinc oxide ingestion, even in this small amount, will make a dog very sick and unless caught in time, will kill! Signs of: vomiting, inappetance, lethargy. Don't mean to freak you out but have seen the effects in the past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Dogs and Prozac [ 2 Answers ]

Our dashchund is on Prozac now because of some very aggressive behavior toward family members (he growls and snaps any time he is moved or touched--more so at night and especially when touched with feet accidentally or otherwise). This behavior initialy got better after starting the Prozac, but now...

Desperate Help With Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My 2 almost five year old bichon frises REALLY need training. We brought them to training when they were little and then my parents ended that and now they have bad habits and do things on their own, and they have no disipline AT ALL. I have tried to do what I can, but it's really...

View more questions Search