Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunshine2 Posts: 70, Reputation: 11

May 7, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Nope, It Wasn't Me
    I was married for 2 months back in 1997. When my oldest daughter was 6 weeks old, he took off. Is there any possible way to get this marriage annulled? Is there a statue of limitations for this?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Why does it matter? And if it wasn't you, then who was it?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Contact an attorney who specializes in divorce in your area. Some attempt must be made to locate your husband. He will then file a petition with the court for an annulment.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 7, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine2
    I was married for 2 months back in 1997. When my oldest daughter was 6 weeks old, he took off. Is there any possible way to get this marraige annulled? Is there a statue of limitations for this?
    You are divorced right?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 06:59 PM
    I will assume from the post that you never got a divorce?
    Merely hire an attorney and file for divorce, there are rules, if the ex can not be found, you post a public notice and go on with the divorce.
    I doubt that you can get an civil annulment at this point, if you have been married to him since 1997. Plus you lived to gether and the such.

If you are catholic and need a church annulment that of course is another issue.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2007, 07:37 PM
    I think as Fr Chuck said you just have to post a public announcement and then if he does not reply within a given time frame then the judge may chose to finalize your divorce. Of course it is different in every state.

May 7, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Sorry to clarify, I was divorced but want it taken off my record.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 05:48 AM
    What do you mean "taken off your record?" Are you speaking from a Church point of view? A Church annulment?

May 8, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Taken off my record period. Is there a difference between the legal aspect and the religious? I am sure there is. I got a legal divorce but I never was satisfied with this since
    We were only "married" for 2 months. I am not catholic. If you were not married in a church, does the marriage still hold the same weight beofre God? Lots of questions, thank you.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
    No, if you were not married in a church, that is not an issue. There is a difference between the religious and civil aspects of this.

I understand what you are saying. I don't think there is any way to wipe this out. You don't have a "record" per say. But, there is a history of a divorce sitting in a file in a lawyers and/or judges office. There is a record in a city or county log somewhere. Fr Chuck might know of a way to delete this, but to my knowledge, there isn't any way to do that.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
    How long after he left did your divorce become final? I think there is a statute of limitations as to when a marriage is annulled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search