Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justicio513 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Glutathion comes from what part of the body?
    What is it; and how does it help atthletes?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
    If you mean Glutathione then chemically it reduces oxidative stress- I don't know anything about taking it as a supplement though - not my area. It is present in all cells.

Oxidative stress is caused by free radicals being produced by the mitochondrion during oxidative phosophorylation (making energy for the cell)- this would increase during exercise. Therefore a supplement which reduces this could prevent cell damage.

If you want a cheaper way to reduce free radicals in your body - eat more fruit!

That's the science as for practice I don't know
    mysweetbaby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Glutathione (L-gammaglutamyl-L-cysteinylglycine) is a tri-peptide of the amino acids cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid. Glutathione is an antioxidant compound found in living animal and plant tissue. It takes up and gives off hydrogen and is important in cellular respiration. A deficiency of glutathione can cause hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells, leading to anemia) and oxidative stress. Glutathione is essential in intermediary metabolism as a donor of sulfhydryl groups which are essential for the detoxification of acetaminophen. [PDR Medical Dictionary. Spraycar. 1999] Selenium is a structural component of, and a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase.

Glutathione is the major endogenous antioxidant produced by the cell. Glutathione participates directly in the neutralization of free radicals, reactive oxygen compounds, and maintains exogenous antioxidants such as vitamins C and E in their reduced (active) forms. In addition, through direct conjugation, glutathione plays a role in the detoxification of many xenobiotics (foreign compounds) both organic and inorganic. Glutathione is an essential component of the human immune response. Proposed mechanisms of immune enhancement include:
    Optimizing macrophage functions,
    Offsetting oxidative damage associated with lymphocyte monoclonal expansion, and
    Stabilizing the mitochondrial membrane thereby, reducing apoptosis in lymphocytes

Source: Nutrition Advisor: Your source for Glutathione | Calorad | Calorad 2000 | Whey | Immunocal | Immunocal Platinum | Aroma Patch | December 28, 2006

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glutathion PILLS [ 34 Answers ]

I Had Posted A Question On Glutathion. What I Honestly Want To Know Before I Start Taking These Pills Is: Do They Lighten Skin Colour? What Amount Should I Take For Them To Be Effective Any Side Effects? Of Course The Cost Of These Tablets Or Injections

Need a better body. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm 16, and I'm not really happy with my body. I'm about 5'5 I have long skinny legs, my butt isn't round and tight, I don't have a flat stomach seems like every time I eat all the fat goes straight to my stomach but not my legs or anything, I have really big boobs so I hate how my body looks!...

Glutathion [ 3 Answers ]

Is it safe and can I buy it from phamacies in Romania?

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

Sound in ear from pressure on other body part [ 8 Answers ]

No one seems to believe this symptom. When I move my right ankle or rub my right calf in a certain location, I hear a sound inside my right ear. It sounds sort of like winding a watch. I have had sounds in tha ear for years (birds, insects etc.), but this is new and on top of that. It started...

View more questions Search