Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

May 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Wondering about birth control
    I am currently 22 weeks pregnant, and lately I have been thinking about the decisions I want to make after I have the baby on birth control. I'm scared to take it, I've never taken birth control before, I mean is it unhealthy for a woman's period to be cut short each month and such?
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
    I am understanding that you are thinking about taking birth control after your pregnancy... I am right? Ok first of all birth control is not bad for you and will not hurt you but most do have side effects, espessially in the beginning. Birth control pills can cause weight gain, mood swings, boob pain, nausea, stomach pains, etc. I had a lot of symptoms because I gained a lot of weight and I had horribly sore boobs. The doctor sais that this is because your hormones are changing so rapidly. Anyway there are symptoms with the birth control and if you stay on birth control pills too long it may be harder for you to have kids when you get off. For instance if you stay on it 10 years and come off it may take a long time to get prengnant. I have also heard people say that if you stay on the pill for only a few months and get off that you can get pregnant right away and that is not good.

I would talk to your doctor before making decisions because birth control can be a good thing because your periods will be regular and it is safe against pregnancy. Some people have even said that birth control is good for you are far as health is concerned. I do not like the side effects and it effects everyone differently, most of the side effects will go away on there own after your body adjusts to the rapidly changing hormones but you may still have some symptoms. The worse is the weight gain for me but this does not effect everyone but just some people, I lost weight after getting off Ortho Tryrcyclen and Ortho Trycylen Lo. Hope this info helps!

As far as the period being cut short every month I have never tried birth control pills like that... All of the birth control pills that I have took have made my period normal. For instance I would have a normal healthy 5 day period at the Same time every month. My peiod was very regular while on the because. You can choose birth control pills that stop your period for several months etc but I have never tried them. I am sure that are not bad for you but may have side effects.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 08:24 PM
    All women react to different kinds of birth control differently. Some women may have shorter periods, some don't. It all depends on the women and the form of birth control. Some also have longer lasting effects as well, for when you do want to start trying for another baby. For example, they usually give you a waiting period in which you should expect to still have it in your system. The pill has a three month waiting period. The shot has an 18 month waiting period,etc etc. So it is wise to talk to your doctor about the different forms, how they effect breast feeding, and how they will effect the way you feel, your periods, and your timing for conceiving later. (once you give birth, the last thing you will want to think about is having another baby, BUT eventually that will change, and you need to know the reality of what to expect for how long it will take, etc) There are risks with all forms of birth control, but that is why it is smart to look at all your choices, weight the risks to advantages, etc. I would personally suggest the pill.(I plan on going on Mircette after this baby) Typically they don't effect breastfeeding, and they have a shorter period before it leaves your system. It doesn't have some of the wider side effects some do, and they don't effect your periods as much as others. However, if you have a difficult time remembering to take it on time every day, you might want to consider other options. Your doctor can explain all the different forms, and all the info along with it.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I think it also depends on your age. The older you get - they (the dr.'s) recommend you get off the pill. (age 35).
    I, personally, can't take the pill - it doesn't agree with my system.
    We don't use any kind of birth control - we are in God's grace.
    I have friends and family that are on various brands of pills. I have a SIL that has some five year implant and is happy with that (no pill to remember to take) - but she isn't planning on having anymore kids.
    I would talk to your dr. and see what is right for you
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 7, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarMar27
    I am currently 22 weeks pregnant, and lately I have been thinking about the decisions I want to make after I have the baby on birth control. I'm scared to take it, I've never taken birth control before, I mean is it unhealthy for a woman's period to be cut short each month and such?.
    The pill has known to be associated with cancer risk. Something you may want to avoid. There are other ways to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Ask your doctor about some of the other methods. The pill that your talking about hasn't been on the market long enough to say it has no risk. Do your research before taking anything that doesn't have lots of scientific data.
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 10:10 PM
    I have a great idea for you. I have been using an IUD (intra uterine device) since my daughter was about three months. I LOVE IT!! I have had it in for five years now, and just had it removed in February to try for our last baby. No pills to remember (not that I ever did remember :) And my doctor told me that pretty much as soon as the IUD is removed, I can get pregnant. The IUD I am using has no Medication in it. The only thing is that you would have to use condoms or some other birth control until you have a regular period following the birth of your baby. Blessings!

May 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by persainpapaya
    I have a great idea for you. I have been using an IUD (intra uterine device) since my daughter was about three months. I LOVE IT!!! I have had it in for five years now, and just had it removed in February to try for our last baby. No pills to remember (not that I ever did remember :) And my doctor told me that pretty much as soon as the IUD is removed, I can get pregnant. The IUD I am using has no Medication in it. The only thing is that you would have to use condoms or some other birth control until you have a regular period following the birth of your baby. Blessings!

Oh really? I have never heard of that, does it feel normal?
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 8, 2007, 12:15 PM
    They are fantastic. I felt a little sore (inside, like when you are on your period), for about two days. You can ask your physician to cut the strings on the short side. That way your partner won't feel them. One requirement is that you are in a monogomous relationship. But they are wonderful. I have one, my sister had one, and is waiting to get her period after the birth of her baby, and will have another put back in. This site should give you the basics on IUDs hope this helps. IUD = IntraUterine Device at www.Birth-Control-Comparison.info from Cedar River Clinics
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAdvice
    The pill has known to be associated with cancer risk. Something you may want to avoid. There are other ways to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Ask your doctor about some of the other methods. The pill that your talking about hasnt been on the market long enough to say it has no risk. Do your research before taking anything that doesnt have lots of scientific data.

Yes all have risk, but all don't cause cancer ;)

May 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by persainpapaya
    They are fantastic. I felt a little sore (inside, like when you are on your period), for about two days. You can ask your physician to cut the strings on the short side. That way your partner wont feel them. One requirement is that you are in a monogomous relationship. But they are wonderful. I have one, my sister had one, and is waiting to get her period after the birth of her baby, and will have another put back in. This site should give you the basics on IUDs hope this helps. IUD = IntraUterine Device at www.Birth-Control-Comparison.info from Cedar River Clinics
    Thanks a lot, I will be looking into that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

Can birth control make you have some of the symptoms of being pregnant? I mean can it give you headaches, mood swings, tender breasts etc.

Birth Control [ 3 Answers ]

HI there I was just wondering if I could be pregnant.. I am on the pill and have been for 3 months now... I am on my 3 month now... But on the 8th day of taking the pill my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex... I should be getting my period today and I feel crampy but nothing has shown yet. I am...

Birth Control: [ 61 Answers ]

What is God's will regarding the use of birth control? HANK :)

Birth Control [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if you have been taking birth control for a really long time and you think you might be pregnant. Could the birth control screw up the results?

View more questions Search