Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    84kris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
    1st editions
    How can you tell if a book is a first edition? Where should I look to see?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Look on the page of information, usually the second or third page, if the copyright date and first published date are within a year of each other it should be a first edition.

If there are no dates check if the book has numbers printed in it, your looking for the numbers 10 to 1 in a row ex:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

If you see this it's a first edition, if the 1 is missing it's a second edition, if the 1 and 2 are missing it's a 3rd edition and so on.

If you don't see either of these things or if there are no dates of copyright, publication or the number pattern above, it is very likely a first edition but it would be harder to tell, take it to a book shop.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Sometimes, if you are fortunate, the printer would have specified and taken that guess work out.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I have, in front of me, a first edition of, "The Deep Seas Toll" by James B. Connolly. On the page of the copyright, it states, "first edition".
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 08:09 PM
    I also have a number of books where it is printed on the first or second pages as being "First Edition."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting paid on the 1st and the 15th [ 3 Answers ]

If I get paid on the 1st, and the 15th of each month in 2007, what months would I receive a 3 week payroll check?

Carrier only sometimes starts 1st try? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I have a carrier furnace (guessing 5-7 years old) that often doesn't start the 1st try. I hear the combustion fan come on, then the electric ignitor glows bright red, I hear a click and the burners kick on. Sometimes it works beautifully, other times it seems to sputter a few times then...

1st and/or 2nd foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a new home and rented out our original home... within a few weeks the renters left... we are now stuck with a 1st and 2nd on the first home and a new mortgage on our new home... the first home is maxed out on equity... we can't afford a 1st and 2nd and our newest...

First editions [ 2 Answers ]

How can you tell whether a hardback book is a first edition? Are they valued more than those that are not first editions?

Two xp home editions [ 10 Answers ]

I have a computer with XP home on it. I want to format and re-install XP home. Installation goes fine until after setup files are copied onto the hard disk. When the computer restarts it asks me which OS I want to boot, and I have a choice between 2 XP home editions, one of which does not work, and...

View more questions Search